Built on a foundation of simplicity, Acorn eschews the outmoded "many palettes" design from yesterday's editors. Acorn presents a fluid new interface that will be familiar to users of Apple's iLife applications. Designed for simple editing, Acorn features flood fill, gradients, vector shapes, drawing and erasing tools, and more. It also brings a few new tricks to the table, including chaining filters and easy image and canvas resizing. From quickly adding text to an image to creating a new graphic with pixel-precise control to just sketching out ideas, Acorn is great for all kinds of image editing.
What is new in this release:
- Fixed a problem where areas of the image would go black when running on MacOS 10.12 Sierra.
- Fixed an issue where the gradient blend mode button would become inactive.
What is new in version 5.6.2:
- Added a new AppleScript command to documents and groups, which will add an image from a file, and you can give it a specified index:
What is new in version 5.6:
New MacBook Pro Touch Bar Things
- Brush tools on bitmap layers: Change the size, opacity, and softness of your brushes.
- When no images are open, Acorn will a New button and show a list of recently opened images in Touch Bar, which you can tap to open.
- General canvas: Fill & stroke color widgets, share widgets, canvas rotate / flip.
- Crop: Rotate left & right, Crop button.
- Scale and Transform: Rotate left & right, Apply button.
- Free Transform: Flip your layer vertically or horizontally.
- Shape Layers: If you have two or more shapes selected, you'll get a boolean operation popover, which lets you then use the union/difference/exclude/intersect operations.
- Shape Layers: If you have two or more shapes selected, you'll also get alignment options for those shapes.
- Shape Layers: Turn fill and stroke on and off for selected shapes.
- Shape Layer Stars: You can adjust the number of points selected stars have using Touch Bar.
- We've added a new Photos extension, which will let you edit your photo in Acorn (available for macOS 10.11 and 10.12+).
- Acorn supports tabs if you are on 10.12 or later. Drag and drop between the layers list and other tabs, it's pretty awesome.
- Fixed a problem where histograms were calculating incorrect data for transparent areas.
- Fixed a bug where the Text Splitter Processor wasn't working correctly for Circle Text.
- Fixed a bug where trying to copy when no layer was currently selected would lead to an error.
- Fixed a bug where Acorn couldn't open up some older files where text boxes were set with interesting colors.
- Fixed a bug where Acorn could become unstable when bringing up the canvas contextual menu item from a SVG file.
- Fixed a problem where opening up iPhone 7 RAW images on macOS Sierra wouldn't show a correct preview in the RAW Import window.
- Added a check for the 3rd party filter "SobelEdgeDetectorUnit.plugin", which was crashing Acorn in macOS Sierra.
- Fixed a problem where the cursor for the clone tool with the tool tip enabled would draw in the wrong location on retina displays.
- Acorn no longer requires the discrete graphics card to be in use for MacBook Pros.
- The text palette now has an added level of precision for the baseline, kerning, line height, and paragraph spacing fields.
- New hidden pref to turn on auto-scrolling for various canvas operations: defaults write com.flyingmeat.Acorn5 autoAutoScroll 1
What is new in version 5.5.2:
- Fixed a problem where instant alpha sometimes didn't work on layers with lots of transparency.
- Fixed a random crasher on 10.12 when using undo/redo on bitmap layers.
- Using the flood fill tool on an empty bitmap layer is now super fast.
- The new Dither filter was accidently showing up in 10.10, when it should have been 10.11 and later.
- Accidentally improved performance when using undo or redo.
What is new in version 5.5.1:
- Fixed a problem where you couldn't duplicate a layer with the Spacing option "Arrange Shapes in a Circle" set to it's initial value of 0.
- Fixed a problem where the sRGB profile for PNG images were being removed on web export when you had the "Embed profile" option turned on.
- Improved performance when drawing fast lines in Acorn with a tablet. We did this by turning on coalescing on by default. If for some reason you'd like the previous behavior, you can turn it off by pasting the following in Terminal:
defaults write com.flyingmeat.Acorn5 coalesceBrush 0
What is new in version 5.4.1:
- Fixed a crasher when importing certain Photoshop brushes.
- Fixed an issue where the Triangle Kaleidoscope wasn't working correctly when you scaled your canvas to less than 100%.
- Fixed an issue where a profile was being embedded on web export even when the setting was flipped off.
- Various little improvements to edge snapping logic.
- The little graphic for the shape palette frame tab now correctly shows the origin in the top left corner if you have that pref set.
- Fixed some redraw problems for shape layers which had various distortion filters applied to them.
- Fixed a problem where text boxes were getting odd artifacts if it was clipped and the font was sufficiently large.
- Fixed a problem where changing the font size for a text box with multiple font faces would change all the fonts to whatever the first one was.
- Fixed a cropping and fill issues when running on OS X 10.10.
- Fixed a problem where a shadow set on circle text would draw at the wrong time, which gave a funny shadow to the selection box.
What is new in version 5.3.1:
New and Changed Stuff
- Increased the grid filter distance parameter from 100px to 500px;
- Intel HD Graphics 3000 crashes- we found a workaround for buggy graphic drivers which were introduced in 10.11. Things are a tiny bit slower now, but way less crashy.
- Better job at importing PSD files with unicode layer names.
- Fixed a bug where duplicating a document wouldn't copy over guides.
- Fixed a problem where Acorn would kick you out of editing circle text when you changed the radius.
- Fixed a potential crasher when using the smudge tool on 64 bit images.
- Fixed a bug where the stroke color for text could be lost.
- Fixed a problem where selections weren't showing up correctly in 10.11.4.
What is new in version 5.3:
- Fixed a bug where deleting text while editing it would sometimes hang Acorn. It was a dumb bug, sorry.
What is new in version 5.1.1:
New Automator Actions: Scale and Export to Folder. This makes it super easy to batch process a ton of images, and have them exported to your favorite format.
Various OS X 10.11 El Capitan workarounds and fixes.
What is new in version 5.0.1:
- Fixed a bug where you could delete on a locked layer.
- Fixed a bug where drawing straight lines on the QuickMask wouldn't always update correctly.
- Fixed a bug where Acorn would fall into a non-responsive state when sometimes trying to move a text layer while it was editing.
- Fixed a bug where the shape layer commands "Make Same Width / Height" wasn't working correctly.
- Tweaked how auto levels is calculated, and fixed some annoying bugs with it.
- Fixed some bad links to our documentation.
- Fixed a couple of bugs with the image metadata editor.
- Fixed a bug were pressing the [ or ] keys when using the pencil tool wouldn't update the cursor to reflect the size change.
- Fixed a thing where Acorn's share menu wouldn't work with some apps.
- Fixed a bug where the line tool didn't snap when creating its start point.
- Fixed a selection problem with text boxes and overlapping shapes.
- Various UI tweaks.
What is new in version 4.5.5:
- Acorn now comes with a share extension for 10.10 Yosemite, so you can copy images from Photos to Acorn.
- Fixed a bug where drawing with opacity with the brush tool after clearing a canvas selection wouldn't work properly.
- Fixed a bug where the opacity slider would sometimes be disabled when you turned off visibility for the non active layer.
- Fixed a preview issue with the CIVignette filter.
- Fixed a preview issue with the BC Vignette filter from the BC Image Units package.
- Fixed a redraw issue with the burn tool.
- Fixed a bug where moving to a shape layer's mask would clear the current bitmap selection.
- Fixed a bug where control clicking on a guide didn't always add "Delete Guide" to the contextual menu item (you had to be _right_ on the sucker).
- Fixed a bug where creating a bezier path with mitered joins wouldn't always draw correctly with extreme join angles.
- Fixed a bug where using the boolean operations from the quick config popover wouldn't disable after use (since you would only have a single shape selected at this point, and they wouldn't work).
- Fixed a problem where the ruler wasn't showing the correct origin in the y axis on retina displays.
- If you're running 10.10.3 or later, you'll get to use the very latest non-buggy version of the RAW importer (version 6) if available for your RAW images.
What is new in version 4.5.4:
- Fixed a crasher that would sometimes occur when using the eye dropper tool w/ the option key down on a bitmap layer.
- Fixed a problem where some types of RAW images were showing up black in 10.10.
- Fixed a problem where Acorn thumbnails weren't showing up in Finder list views.
- Fixed a crasher when using the instant alpha tool.
What is new in version 4.5.3:
- Acorn does a better job of managing its memory in the background when batch processing with Automator.
- More visible selection marque when for retina displays.
- Fixed a bug where the selection bounds were not updated when inverting the selection, or extending the selection.
- Fixed a crasher when using the text stroke slider on every other fifth Thursday in even numbered months.
What is new in version 4.5.2:
- Acorn will now remove the alpha channel from PNG files if it detects there is no transparency in your image.
- Smart Layer Export now has support for @3x images.
- The pencil tool is a bit more accurate.
- Fixed a bug where merging two layers where the top one had a blend mode of destination out would cause weird clipping.
- Minor speed fix when editing in full screen on 10.10.
- Other minor Yosemite fixes.
- Fixed a bug where the New View window wouldn't update correctly when moving shapes on a canvas with the arrow key.
What is new in version 4.5.1:
Minor New Stuff
- Command-J will now duplicate the current layer, even if there's no selection (previously this would only work if there was a selection).
- The Merge Visible to New Layer command now works if you only have a single layer.
- Fixed a bug where you could set the blending mode of a layer mask, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
- Fixed a bug where exported PSD files sometimes got the wrong aspect ratio for bitmap layers.
- Fixed a bug where merging multiple shape layers would create a single bitmap layer, instead of the obvious result, which would be a single shape layer.
- Fixed a bug where adding JPEG images to an open image would not open it up in the correct orientation.
- Fixed a crasher when transforming a selection to something very very small. Smaller than the smallest tiny thing you can think of.
- Retina fixes.
- Fixed a bug where duplicating a document would cause weird errors down the road when trying to make new layers.
- Fixed a bug where the New View window would fail to come up if you had certain layer filters applied to your image.
- Fixed a bug where entering .999 into the Levels window wouldn't work correctly.
- Worked around an OS bug where Acorn files of a very large dimension would not save correctly because of corrupt TIFF files being created when LZW compression is involved :| .
- Fixed a bug where the stroke for a new shape would sometimes be reset to 0 when it should have been some other number.
- Fixed a bug where the Rasterize Shape Layers command would only work on the first shape layer you had selected.
- Fixed a bug where inverting a selection would cause boolean selection operations later on to fail.
- Fixed a redraw problem for layers which were pasted in from Keynote.