Audacity is an open source, cross-platform audio editor and recorder. Audacity can record and play sounds and import and export WAV, AIFF, MP3, and OGG files. Edit your sounds using cut, copy, and paste features (with unlimited undo functionality), mix tracks, or apply effects to your recordings. Audacity also has a built-in amplitude-envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode, and a frequency-analysis window for audio-analysis applications.
What is new in this release:
- New option ‘Spectral Reassignment’. This algorithm deduces a ‘finer’ spectrogram for vocal work.
- Improvements to Pitch (EAC) – cleaner (sharper) display.
- Spectrogram Settings are now available per-track.
What is new in version 2.1.1:
- The most visible new feature is scrubbing and seeking , including backwards play. Updates to Quick-Play also help with finding a precise position in the audio.
- You can now install plug-ins without restarting Audacity or add and remove any effect or generator from the menus.
- Over 50 bugs have been addressed with this release. Edits are now processed much faster in longer projects of a few hours duration.
- Effects now have presets. A new Limiter replaces the Hard Limiter effect. There's a new version of Vocal Removal, a cross-fade effect for combining clips on the same track and 'classic filters' available as an opt-in effect.
What is new in version 2.1.0:
- Redesigned Meter Toolbars: The default shows separate Record and Playback Meters, half-height so they can be wider while docked, in gradient style.
- A frequency selection can now be made (and spectral edit effects applied to those frequencies) when in a spectrogram view. You can also create or adjust frequency selections in a new "Spectral Selection Toolbar" (available at View > Toolbars).
- Transcription Toolbar (Play-at-speed) can now loop play and cut-preview.
- Timer Record now saves recordings automatically into an existing project.
- New Armenian translation.
What is new in version 2.0.6:
- Better user interface for Keyboard Preferences.
- Streamlining of several Menus.
- LV2 now supported on all platforms, and improved VST settings interface.
- Translations updated, including adding Tamil language.
- Other improvements, including to import/export and ease of installation on Mac OS X.
- User interface bug fixes to Region Restore, dragging selections, and many others.
- Effects bug fixes to add missing effects to Chains, fix accuracy of Analyze > Contrast, fix accuracy of Noise Removal attack and decay, and improve speed of Nyquist effects on OS X and Linux.
- Other bug fixes to Timeline after Loop Play, Transcription Toolbar, and Linux build issues.