Full year and monthly calendars for 26 different calendar systems. Alternative planning calendars. A month-by-month, side-by-side comparison of any two of the calendar systems. The display remains synchronised as you change day, month and year values in either calendar system being viewed. Date conversions among the supported calendar systems. British regnal date conversion. Lists of Western Christian, Eastern Orthodox, Buddhist, Chinese, Hebrew, Hindu, Islamic, Baha'i and Sikh festivals. "Observed Days" for any year from 1990 for around 230 countries worldwide. "Date Detective" command button to tabulate the weekday on which a specified Gregorian date d/m occurs for each of the years in the specified range y1 to y2. The ability to create, display, update and delete reminders for events (birthdays, anniversaries, meetings etc.). A Quick Notes facility. Alarm clock and stopwatch facilities. A time calculator for performing arithmetic with times. "This is your life" information including day-of-the-week on which you were born, number of days you have lived etc. Number of days between any two dates in the Gregorian calendar. Calculation of the date n days, weeks, months or years before or after a specified Gregorian date, where n is a whole number. Special Julian to Gregorian change-over calendars for various countries. Solar and lunar astronomical data. Distances between any two of 18000 locations across the world. Current local time and date in any of these 18000 locations. Some major utilities (big numbers calculator, scientific calculator, expression calculator, geometry calculator, factor calculator, fraction calculator, continued fraction calculator, statistics calculator, number base converter, Travelling Salesman problem, currency converter, financial calculator, ovulation calculator, pregnancy calculator, BAC calculator, BMI calculator, unit converter, magic squares).
What is new in this release:
See readme file.
What is new in version 19.0:
- Enlarged Views - Following a suggestion from a user, the method for displaying enlarged views of text output has been totally redesigned. Now an enlarged view will occupy as much screen "vertical real estate" as possible. For example, on modern screens with diagonal lengths greater than 15.6 inches, a full year calendar should now be completely visible. The F11 function key continues to be used for toggling between enlarged and normal views.
- Reminders - When Calendar Magic is started up, different short sounds are now used to indicate if there is a reminder set for the current date and, if not, if there is one occurring within the next 7 days. For the former, a short sound is played twice; for the latter, the short sound is played once only. This feature has been added primarily for the benefit of blind and visually impaired users.
- Special Calendars - Added an option "Swedish and Finnish Calendars for 1700 to 1712" to display the calendars used in Sweden (Finland was part of Sweden at that time) during this period. Remarkably the calendar for 1712 contains 30 days in February.
- Factor Calculator - Any unacceptably long factorisation may now be terminated by the Ctrl+T keyboard key combination rather than having to use the Task Manager to end the process yafu.exe.
- Time Zones - Updated the time zone information for North Korea. On August 15, 2015 it changed from UTC + 9 hours to UTC + 8.5 hours.
- Winter Olympics - Added data for the Beijing Winter Olympics in 2022.
- World-wide Locations Database - At the request of a user, added Gassa Chare, Ethiopia to Calendar Magic's database of world-wide locations.
- Observed Days - Added Black Friday (4th Friday in November) to the list of Observed Days under "various".
- Translations - Translated versions of the list of Calendar Magic's main features are now available in Belarussian, Italian, Polish, Spanish and Thai.
What is new in version 18.7:
- System Tray - As requested by several users, the main screen of Calendar Magic now minimises to the System Tray by default. There is a new Check Box (Options > General > Minimise to the System Tray) for turning this off, if you prefer to minimise the main screen to the task bar.
- Date and Time Converter - Added a "Date and Time Converter" (Time > What Time is it in? > Date and Time Converter) for converting a date and time from one time zone to another. This can be useful for arranging meetings when several time zones are involved or when participating in eBay auctions. Suggested by a user in New Zealand.
- Accented Characters in Data - Some Windows System Locales used in Asian countries trigger errors when Calendar Magic processes data files containing accented characters. These errors should no longer occur with Calendar Magic now switching seamlessly to equivalent data files with all diacritic marks removed.
- Planning Calendars - Added a new type of planning calendar "Calendar with North American Week Numbers".
- Expression Calculator - Added a function solve(f;x) for finding a real root of the user defined function f given a rough guess x of its value. For example, if a user defines the function poly(x) = x^3 + 3*x^2 + 7*x -15, a root near 2 of this function may be calculated by using the input solve(poly;2) to obtain the value 1.229494219409. More detailed information is available in the Expression Calculator section of this document. The angle measure chosen (degrees or radians) is now a "sticky" value.
- Equation Solver - Altered the last section of output to make it, hopefully, more meaningful and easier to extend in the future to higher order polynomials.
- Observed Days - Added Kalevala's Day (Feb. 28) to the list of Observed Days for Finland. Added Assumption (Aug. 15) and the Immaculate Conception (Dec. 8) to the list of Observed Days for Malta. Added World Backup Day (Mar. 31) to the list of Observed Days common to many countries.
What is new in version 18.6:
- The traditional Baha'i calendar is being replaced by a new astronomical calendar with effect from sunset on March 20, 2015. Tabulated data for the new calendar has also been released for Baha'i years 172 to 221 (roughly 2015 to 2064 in Gregorian years). These changes have been incorporated seamlessly into Calendar Magic by continuing to use the traditional Baha'i calendar for Baha'i years before 172 and after 221. When further tabulated data is available for Baha'i years beyond 221, a further adjustment will be made.
- Added an Equation Solver to the list of Mathematical Utilities. This new utility will currently find all the roots of any quadratic, cubic or quartic equation with real coefficients. Other types of equation may be added later, depending on user feedback.
- When assessing whether or not a given number is prime, the Baillie-PSW Primality Test is now used via YAFU.
- The Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) limit in Scotland has changed from 80 to 50 mg per 100 ml of blood. The rest of the United Kingdom remains unchanged. As a result, England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are now treated separately in the BAC Calculator.
- Distances between locations are now calculated more accurately using formulae which assume that the shape of the Earth is an ellipsoid of revolution rather than a sphere.
What is new in version 18.5:
- List of Reminders - When reminders are listed on the main screen, if two consecutive reminders occur on the same date, you may now reverse the order in which they are listed by left-clicking one of the two reminder messages and then using the Ctrl+UpArrow or Ctrl+DownArrow keyboard key combination as appropriate. Any such change is "sticky".
- Factor Calculator and Prime Calculator - Calendar Magic now auto-detects whether the Windows OS is 32-bit or 64-bit and then uses the appropriate YAFU executable. Before any YAFU based factorisation, old YAFU data and log files are now automatically removed. This helps to ensure more consistent run times when a factorisation is repeated. Updated YAFU from V1.29 to V1.34.
- Time Zones and Use of DST - In October, 2014 Russia implemented major changes to its time zones and also abandoned the use of DST in future years. Belarus has also decided to remain on permanent "summer time". These changes have been incorporated in Calendar Magic.
- World-wide Locations Database - Added the following Russian cities and towns - Baley, Bodaibo, Chelyuskin, Cherskiy, Druzhina, Dudinka, Evensk, Khapcheranga, Khasan, Khatanga, Mirny, Nikolaevsk-on-Amur, Okha, Othosk, Palana, Pevek, Provideniya, Salekhard, Tiksi, Tura, Turukhansk, Tynda, Udachny, Uelen, Ust-Ordynskiy, Vanavara and Verkhoyansk.
- Observed Days - Added Armed Forces Day (last Saturday in June) to the list of observed days for England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
- Travelling Salesman Problem - Added a data file (Commonwealth capitals.tsp) for the 71 countries and territories sending athletes to the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland.