Dejal Simon is the essential site monitoring tool for Mac OS X. It checks web pages, FTP and DNS servers, local or remote ports, and other services for changes or failures, and notifies you via e-mail, sound, speech, Twitter, HTML reports, and other means. Add tests to Simon to track updated sites, to alert you when an important server goes down or recovers, check on Samba SMB, take periodic screenshots of the system, track posts and new comments on your or friends' blogs, check for web mail, make sure a key application is running, get notifications of updates to favorite news and entertainment websites, keep an eye on auctions, and many other uses. You can easily add your own services via custom port connections, AppleScripts, shell scripts, or Perl, PHP, Python, etc. Receive notification of changes, failures, and/or recoveries via various Actions, auto-generated E-mail messages (including to your pager or cellphone), Growl notifications, Twitter updates or direct messages, iCal or Google Calendar events, an audible Sound, or customizable Speech, HTML reports allow remote viewing of a summary and/or details of Simon monitoring. Reports can be saved to a local web server, or uploaded remotely. Customizable templates (with several examples provided) allow embedding in a web page, using a compact format suitable for viewing on PDAs and cellphones, creating a RSS feed, and more.
What is new in this release:
- Added a new Exclude Block filter that outputs the text outside the block, instead of inside like the normal Block filter.
- Enhanced the Block filter feature to support specifying whether to output the text before the Start, the Start text itself, the text between the Start and End, the End text, and/or after the End text, or any combination of those, optionally joined by some separator.
What is new in version 4.1b3:
- If the When pop-up menu for a test filter is changed to None, the filter plugin controls are now removed, as expected.
- Changed the (-) button to set the When pop-up menu to None for the last filter or notifier in the test.
- Fixed an issue where the Preview source wouldn't finish loading if the Preview is displayed on launch of the app.
What is new in version 4.0b4:
- Fixed an issue that prevented newly added filters from being used. Beta users who have added filters, you may need to re-select the use condition (the "when" popup menu) to make it take effect.
- Fixed the preview saying preview not available when selecting a different test without changing out of preview mode first.
- Fixed the preview source not completing loading if the preview mode is selected on launch.
- Fixed the upgrade license not being recognized for people with only a version 2 license.
- Fixed a validation error sometimes when deleting a new test.
- The tests (etc) list now has the initial keyboard focus for the window, instead of its sort menu.
- Adding a new test now avoids checking right away, before it is configured.
- Adding a new item will now always display the Name page, since the first thing that should be done is to give it a name.
- Selecting an item in Edit mode on the Name page will now select the Name field.
- Editing the name of an item now updates the list one second after the last keypress.
- If one or more items are selected when adding a new one (or a group), the item is placed in the same group.
- Fixed the test Services Kind popup menu's support of services in groups.
- Now rebuilds the submenus of the status menu to avoid them being associated with the wrong item when the sort order changes.
- Fixed wacky behavior sometimes when editing Parameters and Cookies in the Web (HTTP) test editor, and Custom Variables in the Script feature.
- Fixed a crash when editing a Script-based service, filter or notifier.