ExaChess is a powerful, full-featured chess-database program for the Macintosh. It can manage a database of millions of master games, serve as a chessboard to play through games, and be used as a tool to record and annotate your own games, to play games against the computer, or to play perfect endgames.
- Direct support (without conversion) of PGN, ChessBase (CBF), and NICBase databases, as well as ExaChess's own database formats.
- Search across any number of databases or just a single database file by player name, event, year, result, ECO code, opening name, position, partial position, material, special game features, or any combination of these.
- Resizable, customizable 2-D color board with smooth animation.
- Flexible game parser that handles free-form text input, both algebraic and descriptive, including move and position evaluations, variations and text comments.
- Records full tree of moves. Switch to variation or return to main line.
- Shows opening tree (next moves for any opening position) with stats from the database. Quickly find matching games in database for any opening position.
- Supports play against external 'chess engines' or against the database via the UCI protocol or Apple Events, including Fruit 2.1 (supplied), ZZZZZZ (supplied), Hiarcs, Crafty, GnuChess, and MacChess. Supports automatic annotation of chess games via the chess engines.
What is new in this release:
- A Spanish language module has been added. Thank you to Carlos Fernando GonzAlez for the translation.
- The ExaChess Downloader script (which runs on selecting File > Download Games) has been updated to accommodate a change in the site hosting TWIC games. This change was made silently in 4.0.2 copies downloaded after April 2010.
- The ExaChess Updater script (which runs automatically or by selecting ExaChess > Check for Updates) has been updated so it is now a Universal binary and runs under Mac OS 10.7 Lion.