GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a freely distributed piece of software suitable for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition, and image authoring. It is a powerful piece of software with capabilities not found in any other free software product. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert-quality photo-retouching program, an online batch-processing system, a mass production image renderer, or an image-format converter. GIMP is modular, expandable, and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image-manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.
What is new in this release:
- Improve drawing performance in single window mode, especially with pixmap themes.
- Fix for CVE-2007-3126, a bug in the ICO plug-in which allowed context-dependent attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via an ICO file with an InfoHeader containing a Height of zero.
- Avoid creating wrong layer group structure when importing PSD files (already fixed in 2.8.20, didn't make it to the NEWS).
- Prevent a crash in PDF plug-in if images or resolution are large.
- Stop parsing invalid PCX files early and prevent a segmentation fault.
- If NOCONFIGURE is set, autogen.sh won't run configure.
- VPATH builds for win32 targets have been fixed.
- Updated Translations
What is new in version 2.8.20:
An annoying oscillating switching between different input devices has been fixed, this should make using a tablet more reliable.
What is new in version 2.8.18:
Fixed a vulnerability in the XCF loading code.
What is new in version 2.8.16:
- Support for layer groups in OpenRaster files.
- Fixes for layer groups support in PSD.
- Various user inrterface improvements.
- OSX build system fixes.
- Translation updates.
- More unspecified changes.
What is new in version 2.8.14:
- Fix libtool versioning (forgot to bump gimp_interface_age)
- Fix brush sizes when used from plug-ins
- Windows: Allow to Explorer-open files with UTF-8 characters in the filename
- Make XCF loading more robust against broken files
- Make sure the widget direction matches the GUI language
- Remove the option to disable the warning when closing a modified image
- Fix canvas overlay widgets (like the text options) for tablets
- Make DND work between images in one dockable