GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a freely distributed piece of software suitable for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition, and image authoring. It is a powerful piece of software with capabilities not found in any other free software product. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert-quality photo-retouching program, an online batch-processing system, a mass production image renderer, or an image-format converter. GIMP is modular, expandable, and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image-manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.
What is new in this release:
Fixed a vulnerability in the XCF loading code.
What is new in version 2.8.16:
- Support for layer groups in OpenRaster files.
- Fixes for layer groups support in PSD.
- Various user inrterface improvements.
- OSX build system fixes.
- Translation updates.
- More unspecified changes.
What is new in version 2.8.14:
- Fix libtool versioning (forgot to bump gimp_interface_age)
- Fix brush sizes when used from plug-ins
- Windows: Allow to Explorer-open files with UTF-8 characters in the filename
- Make XCF loading more robust against broken files
- Make sure the widget direction matches the GUI language
- Remove the option to disable the warning when closing a modified image
- Fix canvas overlay widgets (like the text options) for tablets
- Make DND work between images in one dockable