HoudahSpot is an advanced file search tool. It builds upon Spotlight, which comes preinstalled with OS X. It makes Spotlight both more powerful and easier to use. HoudahSpot provides a clear and structured interface that focuses on file search. It gets you to your files as quickly as possible.
Find files by name, text, content kind, author, recipient, pixel count, etc. Combine criteria to narrow down search results. Specify which folders to search and which ones to exclude. Add any of the hundreds of columns available. Apply filters to reduce search results to only the relevant items. Preview files and text matches. Open files and, where the application supports it, continue searching for text matches by pressing command-G (Find Next). HoudahSpot is indispensable to unearth hard-to-find files. It also works great as a replacement to the default Spotlight interface. If you've ever had a hard time finding a file before, this is what you've been looking for.
What is new in this release:
- Faster text preview: see text matches in context - Text preview now remembers font size preference - Icon and preview grid views now show Finder tag colors next to file names - Added more sample search templates - Various minor bug fixes
What is new in version 4.1.6:
- Added a new sample template. "Misplaced Music Files" finds music files outside the Music folder
- It is now possible to use up/down arrow keys to select a template in the HoudahSpot search bar
- Uses the latest version of the Sparkle app update. This includes security fixes.
What is new in version 4.0.8:
- "File extension" can now be added as a column in search results
- HoudahSpot now suggests you save your preferred setup of criteria, locations, columns, etc. as default for new searches
- Fixes a bug where keyboard shortcuts for templates in the search bar did not update
What is new in version 4.0.6:
- Quick search field: start a search by typing just a few words
- Improved criteria editor: set up and combine search criteria faster than ever before
- Snippets: save sets of frequently used search criteria
- Details pane: Quick Look and text previews within the main window
- Info pane: shows concise information on your files
- Filters: reduce the number of results shown by selecting values in the metadata inspector
- Sidebar: provides quick access to templates, snippets and tags
- Tabs: our most requested feature
- Many other improvements based on customer feedback
Note: HoudahSpot 4.0 is a paid upgrade from previous versions. A single-user upgrade license is priced at $17. The trial version will load your current license file and offer you the option to purchase an upgrade. Licenses purchased on or after November 1, 2014 qualify for a free upgrade.
What is new in version 3.9.8:
Fixes a bug where search could fail when using a "None" group
What is new in version 3.9.7:
Enhancement: Privacy preferences
HoudahSpot preferences now allow you to check if HoudahSpot has access to calendar events, reminders and contacts
Bug fix: Excessive CPU usage
Reverts a change which could cause excessive CPU usage by HoudahSpotHelper and WindowManager
Bug fix: Sort indicator
The sort indicators in the results list are now drawn correctly on OS X Yosemite
What is new in version 3.9.6:
Fixes a crash when temporarily disabling the tray.
What is new in version 3.9.5:
Compatibility fixes for Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite.
Spotlight enabled. Functional with minor appearance issues on
10-second delay when opening a file