LaunchBar is an award winning productivity utility that offers an amazingly intuitive and efficient way to search and access any kind of information stored on your computer or on the web. It provides instant access to your applications, documents, contacts and bookmarks, to your music library, to search engines and more, just by entering short abbreviations of the searched item's name.
You just hit Command-Space to bring LaunchBar's input window to front, enter an arbitrary abbreviation, and as soon as you start typing LaunchBar displays the best matching choices, ready to be opened immediately.
Start applications, open documents, invoke system services, compose emails or navigate the web - LaunchBar will be your essential servant.
What is new in this release:
Improved Tags support
- Sending one or more files to the Add/Remove/Replace Tags actions presents a list of all available tags (as it did before), but you can now select multiple tags from that list.
- Items can now be sent to multiple tags to add, remove or replace all existing tags in one go.
- When multiple tags are selected in LaunchBar, pressing Return now presents a list of items that have all these tags set. To search for these multi-tagged items in Finder instead, you can press Command-Return.
- The tags of an item, that are shown during Info Browsing (by pressing Option-Right) can now be removed conveniently just by pressing Command-Delete. This also works for multiple tags.
- Fixed some tag indexing issues: Items with multiple tags or with legacy color labels were not properly indexed under some circumstances.
Multiple Selection Dragging
Well, we announced this feature already in our 6.2 release notes. But due to an embarrassing mistake in our build process, the feature was not enabled in the released version. But now it finally works and you can drag multiple items from LaunchBar to other applications!
- Added "Detect Search Templates" bookmarks indexing option. This restores the previous behavior of the bookmarks indexer to automatically detect search templates (URLs containing an asterisk) in your web browser's bookmarks. If you rather want these URLs to be indexed as regular bookmarks, you can turn off this option.
- Added "Instant Calculate" option to Calculator preferences. When you Instant-Send an arithmetic expression to LaunchBar, it automatically calculates and shows the result. When you send a plain number, it's automatically opened in LaunchBar's calculator. With this new option you can turn off this behavior, if you prefer to just send the text without any calculator magic.
- The dict.cc action now performs its queries via https.
- Fixed: The "Move to Trash" action didn't work for multiple items in conjunction with Path Finder.
- Improved display of action result items.
What is new in version 6.2:
New Features and Improvements
- Staging: Multiple items in the result list can now also be selected by dragging with the mouse.
- Multiple selections (i.e. staged items) can now be dragged from LaunchBar to other applications.
- Added support for Fantastical 2.
- Improved iCloud Documents / iCloud Drive indexing.
- Improved appearance of large type window on OS X Yosemite.
- User account items now show the user's account image.
- Added support for showing multiple paths in Large Type.
- Improved "Search Dash" action and added support for Dash Beta.
- Improved background execution of AppleScripts.
- Improved Info Browsing of contact details (phone numbers, email addresses, social profiles, etc.).
- Improved subtitle display of contact details that have been selected via full index search.
- The "Display in Large Type" action now also works for file paths.
- Software Update checks are now performed via https.
- Improved Instant Calculate to better distinguish between phone numbers and arithmetic expressions.
- Improved Instant Calculate for multiple lines of selected text.
- Sending a plain number via Instant Send to LaunchBar now opens that number in Calculator.
- Improved automatic insertion of plus operator.
- Improved number detection.
- Improved information on invalid rules in index window.
- The index window now shows the full path of Custom Lists items, and their path is now editable.
- If two actions have the same bundle identifier, only the one with the higher version will be included in the index. This is important if you're an Action Developer: Make sure all your actions have a unique bundle identifier and a valid version in the format "major.minor.bugfix", e.g. "1.4.12".
- Fixed: Pasting clipboard items into Safari form fields sometimes didn't work.
- Fixed an issue causing the Clipboard History to stop working.
- Fixed: When deleting iCloud documents, Finder did not become active reliably to show its confirmation dialog.
- Fixed: Developer Resources indexing.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when using the current WebKit nightly.
What is new in version 6.1.6:
- Fixed a crash when using the Wikipedia search action.
- Fixed an issue where rounded corners were not updated in some themes.
- Fixed an issue when adding OmniWeb or Opera bookmarks rule to the index.
- Web bookmarks indexing no longer creates search templates for URLs containing an asterisk.
What is new in version 6.1.5:
- Added support for third party sharing services (accessible via Actions indexing rule).
- Automatic formatting of displayed phone numbers (same format as in Contacts.app).
- Fixed an incompatibility with 1Password 5.
- Fixed an issue when indexing the latest Developer Documentation.
- Fixed some issues when hovering the action menu button with the mouse on OS X Yosemite.
- Fixed an issue causing LaunchBar to sometimes become visible when a volume got mounted or unmounted.
- Fixed: Automatic index updates sometimes didn't work reliably for some indexing rules (Safari History, Chrome History, Firefox Bookmarks and History, Contacts/Previous Recipients).
- Improved actions indexing to follow symbolic links.
- Command-A no longer creates a multiple selection when the item list ist closed.
What is new in version 6.1.3:
- Wikipedia Search now shows more detailed suggestions while typing the search term.
- Fixes a bug that caused certain applications not to appear in the index.
- Improves left/right navigation during auto-activation (for example, while browsing running applications with Command-Space,Space).