- RAR introduces an original compression algorithm. It provides high compression ratios on executable files, object libraries, large text files, etc.
- RAR offers an optional compression algorithm highly optimized for multimedia data.
- RAR provides functionality for creating a 'solid' archive, which can raise the compression ratio by 10% - 50% over more common methods, particularly when packing large numbers of small files.
- RAR offers the ability to create and change SFX archives using default and external SFX modules.
- RAR offers the ability to create a multi-volume archive as SFX.
- RAR offers a number of service functions, such as setting a password, adding archive and file comments. Even physically damaged archives may be repaired and an archive may be locked to prevent further changes.
What is new in this release:
- in RAR 4.20 -xd:pathdir switch could also exclude directories, which path does not match the path specified in the switch and only the directory name is the same as specified;
- switches -y -or did not work correctly together. Switch -or was ignored in presence of -y.