Mozilla Thunderbird makes e-mailing safer, faster, and easier with such features as intelligent spam filters, a built-in RSS reader, and quick search. Thunderbird was designed to prevent viruses and to stop junk mail. Thunderbird includes tabbed e-mail, new search tools and indexing, smart folders, support for Firefox's Personas, a simplified setup wizard, and robust junk protections that include phishing and spam filters. Thunderbird has a junk mail tools have been updated to stay ahead of spam and features Phishing protection.
What is new in this release:
- New: In Thunderbird 52 a new behavior was introduced for replies to mailing list posts: "When replying to a mailing list, reply will be sent to address in From header ignoring Reply-to header". A new preference mail.override_list_reply_to allows to restore the previous behavior.
- Fixed: Under certain circumstances (image attachment and non-image attachment), attached images were shown truncated in messages stored in IMAP folders not synchronised for offline use.
- Fixed: IMAP UIDs > 0x7FFFFFFF not handled properly
- Fixed: Various security fixes
What is new in version 52.3.0:
- Unwanted inline images shown in rogue SPAM messages
- Deleting message from the POP3 server not working when maildir storage was used
- Message disposition flag (replied / forwarded) lost when reply or forwarded message was stored as draft and draft was sent later
- Inline images not scaled to fit when printing
- Selected text from another message sometimes included in a reply
- No authorisation prompt displayed when inserting image into email body although image URL requires authentication
- Large attachments taking a long time to open under some circumstances
- Various security fixes
What is new in version 52.2.1:
Problems with Gmail (folders not showing, repeated email download, etc.) introduced in version 52.2.0.
What is new in version 52.1.1:
- Fixed: Crash when compacting IMAP folder
- Fixed: Some attachments can't be opened or saved if the message body is empty
- Fixed: Unable to load full message via POP if message was downloaded partially (or only headers) before
- Fixed: Large attachments may not be shown or saved correctly if the message is stored in an IMAP folder which is not synchronized for offline use
What is new in version 52.0:
- Folder pane toolbar and folder view selector (replacement for folder view arrows)
- Optionally remove corresponding data files when removing an account from Thunderbird
- Import settings from Becky! Internet Mail
- Possibility to copy message filter
- Dictionary setting is restored when editing a draft. Content-Language header (RFC 3282) transmitted with message
- Calendar: Event can now be created and edited in a tab
- Calendar: Processing of received invitation counter proposals
- Chat: Support Twitter Direct Messages
- Chat: Liking and favoriting in Twitter
- Chat: Support Jabber/XMPP Message Carbons (XEP-280)
- Chat: XMPP: Support SASL SCRAM authentication mechanism
- IMPORTANT: The way images are included in a compose window has changed. Images are now included as data URIs and not as references to parts of other messages or operating system files. This allows better interoperability with office packages such as MS Office or LibreOffice. Images linked from locations on the internet will no longer be downloaded and attached to the message automatically. This can be changed for each image individually via the Image Properties dialog or globally by setting the preference mail.compose.attach_http_images.
- Many other fixes.
What is new in version 45.8.0:
Various security fixes.
What is new in version 45.7.1:
Fixed crash when viewing certain IMAP messages (introduced in 45.7.0).
What is new in version 45.6.0:
- The system integration dialog was shown every time when starting Thunderbird
- Fixed Various security fixes
What is new in version 45.5.0:
- IMPORTANT: Changed recipient address entry: Arrow-keys now copy the pop-up value to the input field. Mouse-hovered pop-up value can no longer be confirmed with tab or enter key. This restores the behavior of Thunderbird 24.
- Support changes to character limit in Twitter
- Reply with selected text containing quote resulted in wrong quoting level indication
- Mail address display at header pane displayed incorrectly if the address contains UTF-8 according to RFC 6532
- Attempting to sort messages on the Date field whilst a quick filter is applied got stuck on sort descending
- Email invitation might not be displayed when description contains non-ASCII characters
What is new in version 45.4.0:
- Display name was truncated if no separating space before email address.
- Recipient addresses were shown in red despite being inserted from the address book in some circumstances.
- Additional spaces were inserted when drafts were edited.
- Mail saved as template copied In-Reply-To and References from original email.
- Threading broken when editing message draft, due to loss of Message-ID
- "Apply columns to..." did not honor special folders
What is new in version 45.3.0:
- Fixed: Certain messages caused corruption of the drafts summary database.
- Fixed: "edit as new message" on a received message pre-filled the sender as the composing identity.
- Fixed: Disposition-Notification-To could not be used in mail.compose.other.header
- Fixed: Various security fixes
What is new in version 45.2.0:
- Invitations to events could not be printed.
- Dragging and dropping of contacts from the contact list onto an addressbook while All Addressbooks is selected moved only one contact
- Falsely reported not enough disk space during compacting
- Links were not always detected properly in the message body (terminated early on "|", some long links not detected at all)
What is new in version 45.1.1:
- When entering members into a mailing list, the enter key dismissed the panel instead of just moving onto the next line
- Email without HTML elements was sent as HTML, despite "Delivery Format: Auto-detect" option
- Options applied to a template were lost when the template was used.
- Contacts could not be deleted when they were found through a search
- Views from global searches did not respect "mail.threadpane.use_correspondents"
What is new in version 45.1.0:
- Fixed: Drag & Drop a contact name from Thunderbird address book (list view) to address box in a new message “compose” window failed.
- Fixed: UI elements became larger when moused over on retina displays/monitor on Mac OS X
- Fixed: DIGEST-MD5 authentication in JS-XMPP failed for some users (now disabled).
- Fixed: Font indicator in compose falsely claimed certain fonts were not installed.
- Fixed: Printing failed in composition window.
- Fixed: Various improvements in handling of message compose in paragraph mode.
- Fixed: Automatic correspondents column upgrade disabled
What is new in version 45.0:
- Add a Correspondents column combining Sender and Recipient
- Much better support for XMPP chatrooms and commands.
- Remote content exceptions: Improved options to add exceptions.
- Implement option to always use HTML formatting to prevent unexpected format loss when converting messages to plain text.
- Use OpenStreetmap for maps (even allow the user to choose from list of map services)
- Allow spell checking and dictionary selection in the subject line
- Allow editing of From when composing a message.
- Add dropdown in compose to allow specific setting of font size.
- Return/Enter in composer will now insert a new paragraph by default (shift-Enter will insert a line break)
- Allow copying of name and email address from the message header of an email
- Mail.ru supports OAuth authentication.
- Fixed: When sending e-mail which was composed using Chinese, Japanese or Korean characters, unwanted extra spaces were inserted within the text.
- Fixed: Spell checker checked spelling in invisible HTML parts of the message.
- Fixed: When saving a draft that is edited as new message, original draft was overwritten.
- Fixed: External images not displayed in reply/forward
- Fixed: Crashed in some cases while parsing IMAP messages.
- Fixed: Properly preserve pre-formatted blocks in message replies.
- Fixed: Copy/paste from a plain text editor lost white-space (multiple spaces/blanks, tabs, newlines)
- Fixed: "Open Draft"/"Forward"/"Edit As New"/"Reply" created message composition with incorrect character encoding.
- Fixed: Grouped By view sort direction change was broken, plus enabled custom column grouping.
- Fixed: New emails into a mailbox did not adhere to sort order by received.
- Fixed: Box.com attachments failed to upload.
- Fixed: Drag and drop of multiple attachments failed to OS file folder.
- Fixed: XMPP had connection problems for users with large rosters
What is new in version 38.7.2:
Version 38.7.2 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
What is new in version 38.6.0:
- Fixed: Various security fixes.
- Fixed: Filters ran on a different folder than selected
- Fixed: For Windows systems on roaming profiles, could not display messages after Thunderbird update (related to Lightning updates)
What is new in version 38.5.1:
Use a SHA-256 signing certificate for Windows builds, to meet new signing requirements.
What is new in version 38.2.0:
- Hardware acceleration is now disabled by default to avoid crashing Thunderbird.
- A few bugs have been fixed to avoid crashing Thunderbird.
What is new in version 38.0.1:
- New: GMail supports OAuth2 authentication, removing the need to manually select "allow less secure applications" in Google options for the account.
- New: Ship Lightning calendar addon with Thunderbird and enable with an opt-out dialog
- New: Filter sent messages
- New: Filter messages when archived
- New: Enable search in multiple/all address books
- New: Add support for Yahoo Messenger in Chat
- New: Support Internationalized domain name URLs for RSS feeds
- New: Show expanded columns in folder pane
- New: Allow file-per-message (maildir) local message storage
- New: Add a Learn more link to the support page in feeds subscribe dialog
- New: Add reading position marker line to conversations
- New: The editor for twitter should show inputtable character count
- Changed: Thunderbird will no longer use SHA-1 to sign messages
- Changed: Removed rarely used character sets: T.61-8bit, non-encoding Mac encoders, VISCII, x-viet-tcvn5712, x-viet-vps x-johab, ARMSCII8 , map us-ascii to windows-1252, ISO-8859-6-I and -E and ISO-8859-8-E
- Changed: Disable CONDSTORE support for IMAP to prevent discrepancies in IMAP message status (deleted, unread) on some servers
- Changed: Make OpenSearch queries open in the user's default browser
- Changed: Default to using SSL for XMPP and IRC. This might cause issues for self-signed certificates
- Fixed: Replied/forwarded icons disappear after folder repair, detach/delete
- Fixed: Attachment "Save As" files are displayed in Tools/Saved Files
- Fixed: Adding unknown email addresses to Mailing list, then deleting ghost duplicate entries from contacts pane, caused dataloss in mailing list
- Fixed: Web site from RSS feed was not rendered correctly
- Fixed: Email address with leading/trailing whitespace displayed wrongly with added quotes when composing ["foo"@bar.com]
- Fixed: Force display of Sender header if S/MIME sender is the signer
- Fixed: Addressing autocomplete widget: Typed text in red despite results/matches found if suggestions change by last input
- Fixed: Status bar not accessible
- Fixed: Wrong folder may be deleted when requesting junk delete
- Fixed: Severe UI stutter or freezes getting new mail for very large folders
- Fixed: Automatically rejoin multi-user conversations on reconnect for XMPP
- Fixed: Various improvements when using IRC on moznet
- Fixed: Significantly improve XMPP support
- Fixed: Fixes for connecting to non-standard IRC networks
- Fixed: Automatically reclaim IRC nicks during a reconnect
- Fixed: Changing location in editor doesn't preserve the font when returning to end of text/line
- Fixed: Inline spell checker loses red underlines after a backspace is used
What is new in version 31.7:
Version 31.7 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
What is new in version 31.6:
What is new in version 31.5:
What is new in version 31.4:
- The previous issues with jp mac builds have now been fixed, and Thunderbird will no longer need to be run in 32-bit mode.
- Installing extensions within Thunderbird no longer requires download and installing as a filee
- Security fixes
What is new in version 31.3:
- Fixed: Fixes an issue where using LDAP autocomplete could end up with blank entries in the compose addressing list
- Fixed: Fixes an issue where IRC participants were not removed from the display on leaving a channel.
- Fixed: Fixes a regression where Thunderbird wasn't respecting the skip integration option on the default client dialog.
- Fixed: Security fixes
What is new in version 31.2:
- Fixed a case where having a contact and card in an address book with the same name could send to the mailing list.
- FIXED: Invalid certificate issue with mozilla::pkix.
- FIXED: Importing an RSA private key fails if p < q.