Task management shouldn't be your full time job. We've built OmniFocus to take a load off your mind by managing your tasks the way that you want, freeing you to focus your attention on the things that matter to you most. Finish that novel. Spend more time with your friends and family. Grow your business. Let us worry about keeping your goals and tasks, both personal and professional, in one ordered, easy to access system that you can depend on.
What is new in this release:
- Crash -- Fixed a crash pasting TaskPaper text that had @autodone or @parallel tags with no values (ignoring them instead).
- Future File Formats -- Updated OmniFocus' "capabilities" system to provide more helpful errors when an un-parseable database is encountered.
What is new in version 2.8.2:
- Fixed a problem where the scope wasn’t correctly preserved across searches.
- Fixed our most common crashes in OmniFocus 2.8.1
- Updated localizations.
What is new in version 2.7.2:
Copy -- Reverted the change that made TaskPaper text the default pasteboard format, and added a new Copy as TaskPaper menu item that always includes full TaskPaper details and copies the children of a selected item, but only if they are visible. So you won't ever accidentally get completed or filtered items, and you can collapse a parent item if you don't want to copy its children.
TaskPaper Tags -- We now always include the @autodone and @parallel tags when copying.
Sync Logs -- Syncs triggered over the local network using Bonjour no longer show as "Received Push".
Custom Columns -- Fixed problems with column visibility.
Crash -- Fixed a crash related to setting a separate encryption passhprase.
Sync Crash -- Fixed a crash when compacting the OmniFocus database.
What is new in version 2.7.1:
- Sync — Made several changes to sync which should decrease the likelihood of “Replace Database and Start Syncing?” prompts.
- Sync — Made a change to help recognize an OmniFocus database modified by a newer version and present the correct error instead of silently failing.
- Memory Leaks — Fixed several memory leaks that we believe may trigger a crash.
What is new in version 2.5.1:
- News — Added a way for us to tell you about important stuff like OS updates that might break compatibility. You’ll be notified about news via text in OmniFocus’ title bar, and not by OS X notifications or anything else that might interrupt your workflow.
- Correct Spelling Automatically — Fixed a bug where changes to “Correct spelling automatically” in OmniFocus wouldn’t stick.
- Key Loop — The tab key now behaves more sensibly in most situations.
- Crash — Fixed a crash switching Font Collections while a note field was open for editing.
- Text Layout — Fixed a number of layout problems, especially on OS X 10.10.
- Sidebar — Fixed a visual glitch in the form of an errant horizontal line.
- Georgia Font Collection — Made the sidebar tab titles bold to improve legibility.
- Notes — Fixed some problems with notes not updating on theme change.
- Performance — Fixed poor performance due to a large number of completed items in a given container.
- Clean-up — Fixed a problem where items dragged to Inbox would be immediately cleaned up, so the drag appeared to have no effect.
- Theme Changes — Fixed a problem where badge colors failed to update on theme change.
- Russian — Fixed alignment problems in Sync Preferences.
- Japanese — Fixed a layout problem in the About window after purchasing Pro.
What is new in version 2.5:
- Styles — Added a Style Preference Pane, where you can choose between built-in font and color collections or import and export your own.
- Crash Recovery — If the app was launched with the Shift key held, we now reset style preferences to their default values so you can work around launch crashes triggered by bad style customizations.
- Sync — Added a quiescence timer so that we can block integrating sync changes while you are actively typing (these integrations could cause inadvertent deletion, especially in notes and titles).
- Dates — Inherited dates are now italicized to differentiate them from explicitly-set dates.
- Outline View — The outline now always reclaims space after a selection change that changes row heights.
- Switching Apps — We now commit partial edits when switching to another application with an outline or inspector field active.
- Clippings — Updated the OmniPlan Clipping handler to work with OmniPlan 3.
- Project Order — Fixed a long-standing bug where the order of Projects would get re-arranged temporarily. This also sometimes affected re-ordering the sidebar manually.
- Sync Setup — We now present a helpful error when an account can’t be found, rather than a rather un-helpful one.
- Inspector — Inspector text fields (including Note) now retain focus when switching between applications.
- Search — The Go to Search Field menu item no longer stops working after editing the toolbar.
- TextExpander — Fill-in Snippets once again work in the Sidebar.
- Crash — Fixed a crash opening an image attachment that was pasted from OmniGraffle.
- Sidebar Badges — Fixed a problem with sidebar badges when transitioning from one digit to two (or vice versa) being displayed in the badge.
- Push — Fixed a bug where “Initializing” would show indefinitely after enabling push.
- Calendar Apps — When clicking “View in Calendar”, if Fantastical or BusyCal is set as your default calendar app, the day containing the event being inspected will be opened in that application instead of Apple Calendar.
- Type-Ahead Selection — Type-ahead selection has been disabled to avoid some situations where it could result in inadvertent deletion of items.
- Outlining Keyboard Shortcuts — Bare reorganize right ‘r’ in the sidebar outline is now disabled if the operation would cause the item’s type to be converted and disappear from the sidebar.
- Localizations — Localized some previously-un-localized items. Fixed a bug in Chinese where the review intervals in Dates & Times Preferences use the same character for days, weeks, and months. More work remains.
- Documentation — Updated the In-App Help.
What is new in version 2.4.2:
- AppleScript -- Fixed a bug where setting duration to "missing value" applied a value of zero minutes instead.
- Crash -- Fixed a crash switching sidebar selection with rows selected in the outline and text folding enabled.
- Crash -- Fixed a crash having to do with repeating events imported from Reminders
- Crash -- Fixed a crash sorting in Contexts sidebar with "No Context" selected.
What is new in version 2.4.1:
- Crash -- Fixed a crash closing any full-screen window.
- Crash in Notes -- Fixed a crash having to do with notes.
- Mac App Store Crash -- Fixed a crash upgrading to Pro in the Mac App Store version of OmniFocus.
What is new in version 2.3.1:
- Drag and Drop - Dragging an action to the last position in a project no longer creates a new project (or an action group).
- Sync - Sync is no longer triggered immediately on new item creation, which resulted in 'Untitled Item' rows on other synced devices.
- Duplicate - Duplicate now commits editing before duplicating items.
- Crash in Full-Screen - Fixed a crash closing a full-screen window with an edited note.
- Crash in Settings - Fixed a crash viewing the sync log.
- Crash in Chinese - Typing "off" with a Chinese Keyboard no longer causes OmniFocus to crash.
- View Options - Fixed problems with text wrapping and clipping in some localizations.
- Tab Highlights - These are no longer drawn upside-down.
- Preferences - Prevented
[LONG]from appearing next to some as yet un-localized strings.
What is new in version 2.3:
- "Custom Columns" Layout -- A new Layout pane has been added to OmniFocus Preferences. Fluid Layout is the one you've been using since OmniFocus 2 shipped. In Custom Columns layout, horizontal space is redistributed automatically between the columns as you resize the window, with columns whose entries are likely to be shorter staying close together. Customers with Pro can choose which layout to use per perspective via the View popover in the toolbar. For more information, check out OmniFocus Help > Preferences > Layout.
- Title Folding -- Use Show Full Item Title > When Selected in the View menu to only show the first line of items' titles and keep rows vertically compact. Item titles are automatically expanded to show the full title when you select a row.
- Sync Log -- Sync Preferences now includes a sync log (in Show Sync Details).
- Note Buttons -- Both Fluid and Custom Columns layout use a new note button. If an item has a note, the chevron on its note button indicates the action that OmniFocus will take when you click the button. Clicking a note button with a downward pointing chevron expands the note. Clicking a note button with an upward pointing chevron collapses it.
- Status Circles -- The indicator for repeating tasks looks more like small, repeating status circles now (and less like the elipsis button in apps like iTunes and Music).
- El Capitan -- Fixed bugs and visual glitches in OS X El Capitan.
- Sync Conflict -- Fixed a bogus sync conflict resulting in the error message "Unable to synchronize database with server; The local database appears to have been reset and is no longer able to reach transaction identifiers"
- Attachment Window -- Greatly improved performance when deleting a large number of attachments.
- Documentation -- Updated the docs for new features and generally improved them.
- Smaller Fixes and Improvements -- A great number of bugs have been fixed as part of implementing the new layout options.
What is new in version 2.2.4:
- Made some changes to help track down a crash common in pre-release versions of OS X related to fonts.
- Improved performance when scrolling and switching perspectives.
What is new in version 2.2.1:
- Sync Preferences — Updated the Synchronization Preference pane, adding a section for Push (behind Show Sync Details). Currently that section only contains a switch for opting out of push triggering.
- Unavailable Items — Reverted the change in OmniFocus 2.2 which counted unavailable items in “Due Soon”.
- Crash Deleting Attachment — Fixed a crash deleting custom perspective icons from the attachments window.
- Crash with Experimental Layout — Fixed a crash on launch when using the experimental vertically compact layout.
- Find — You can now open the Find window in non-English locales.
- Dock Badges — Prevented the Dock Badge count from going stale while OmniFocus was open but not active.
- Row Layout — Fixed a bug that made rows too tall when Text Size was set to Small in OmniFocus Preferences.
- Today Preferences — The Reset button on the Notifications Preference Pane now resets “Show In Today” along with the other items in the pane.
- Today Extension — Items deferred until today and due tomorrow no longer appear when the extension is set to show items “Due Today”.
- Crash Importing — Fixed a crash importing .oo3 files with Metadata columns.
What is new in version 2.1.3:
- Crash - Fixed our most common crash in OmniFocus 2.1.2
- Crash at Midnight -- Fixed a crash that only occurred if OmniFocus was running at midnight.
- Crash Closing "About" -- Fixed a crash when closing "About OmniFocus"
- Performance -- Improved responsiveness when switching to OmniFocus from another app.
- Forecast -- Prevented Future from disappearing in Forecast.
- Multiple Selection -- Fixed a possible problem displaying multiple selections in the outline.
What is new in version 2.1.1:
- Free Trial Period: fixed a problem with OmniFocus’ trial expiring unexpectedly.
- Crashes: several crash fixes which didn’t make it into OmniFocus 2.1
What is new in version 2.1:
- Vibrant Interface -- We adjusted the OmniFocus interface to better match OS X Yosemite. That included making new toolbar icons, adjusting the appearance of some other elements, and incorporating vibrancy where appropriate.
- OS X Requirement -- OmniFocus 2.1 requires OS X 10.10
- Application and Document Icons -- The app and document icons now fit in better on OS X Yosemite.
- Extensions -- OmniFocus for Mac now has Today and Share extensions, just like on iOS. To enable the Today extension, click Edit at the bottom of Notification Center.
- Sharing -- In addition to accepting content from other apps, the text of actions can be shared from OmniFocus using the share button in the toolbar.
- Tear-off View Options Popover -- When the View Options popover is open, it can be dragged away from the window and exist on its own.
- Find and Replace -- Find and Replace now works in actions as well as their notes.
- Help -- In addition to being up to date with info on the new features, OmniFocus Help has a new look that should be easier to use. Scrolling is also smoother on retina screens.
- OmniOutliner Import -- When importing from OmniOutliner columns can once again be mapped to OmniFocus fields.
- Localized Date Parsing -- If OmniFocus can't parse a date using localized relative date names, it will try using English relative date names.
- Moving Windows -- It's no longer possible to move the window using the split view dividers.
- Narrower Windows -- OmniFocus' minimum window width has been reduced.
- Inspector Menus -- MISSING VALUE no longer appears in action and project status menus or the "Review Every" menu.
- Bad State after Time Zone change -- OmniFocus behaves better after changing time zones, clearing a due date, and then using a +1 day/week/month button
- Spurious Due Soon Notifications -- OmniFocus now always respects its own Notification Preferences.
- Sync Credentials -- When syncing with Omni Sync Server, you're no longer prompted again for your username after entering it in Preferences--just your password.
- New Item in Forecast (Focused) -- You can create a new action while Focused and in the Forecast perspective without causing an alert to appear.
- New Item in "No Context" -- You can now create new items in Flagged and in Contexts when "No Context" is selected.
- Perspective Icons -- Some custom icons previously resulted in an error about PNG gamma value.
- Grouping Actions in Quick Entry -- The app no longer hangs when grouping actions in the Quick Entry window.
- Flagged Items -- Status circles are now drawn with orange only if flagged and not complete.
- Crash -- Fixed a commonly-reported crash on launch.
- Crash -- Fixed a crash when quitting.
- Crash -- Fixed a crash when closing the Archive window with a hidden toolbar.
- Crash -- Fixed a crash undoing "Replace All" when text in notes had been replaced.
- Crash -- OmniFocus now beeps instead of crashing when you try to delete "No Context" from the sidebar.
- Many Smaller Fixes and Improvements -- Including several other crashes.
What is new in version 2.0.4:
- Localizations -- Localized OmniFocus in Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, and Spanish. OmniFocus Help and related documents are not yet localized.
- Fixed an issue where changing the focus wouldn't immediately refresh the task list in some perspectives.
- Switching to a built-in perspective will now reset the current search just like switching to a custom perspective does. This means that switching to a perspective with a built-in search will no longer leave that search lying around when switching back to a built-in perspective.
- Fixed a rare database issue where many divergent transactions could yield a merge transaction with a very long filename-a filename which was so long that it couldn't actually be written to the filesystem. This would result in an "Unable to check for existence" error which made it impossible to sync or make further edits to that database without help from our support humans.
What is new in version 2.0.3:
- Fixed some Yosemite compatibility issues with the Clip-o-Tron: it will no longer try to capture the full content of a selected message on Yosemite, only the subject and a link and any selected text. (Yosemite compatibility also requires the new Clip-o-Tron Installer v1.0.1.)
- Newly captured links to Mail messages (from the "Send to OmniFocus" service) will now work on iOS, not just Mac. This makes those links much more useful (and reduces the need to capture the full content of each message).
- Fixed a Yosemite compatibility issue where scrolling the help window would cause the navigation bar to temporarily detach from the top of the window.
- Fixed a Yosemite compatibility issue where viewing multiple help pages in the help window could lead to a crash.
- Fixed a Yosemite compatibility issue with clipping email messages where the original message link would get split into two links when syncing to the iOS apps.
- Fixed a Yosemite compatibility issue where the In-App Purchase window would never finish loading.
- Fixed a bug in the hidden "compact layout" mode where neither the status circle nor the flag could be clicked from the mouse.
- Fixed several issues with displaying and editing dates when using languages other than English.
- Fixed a display bug in Synchronization Preferences where the letter "B" was superimposed over the gear icon.
- Whenever a language other than English is is being used, if a date can't be understood in the preferred language the date editor will try to see if it matches anything in English. This means it's always possible to use English shortcuts such as "next week" or "next Thursday" even if you're using OmniFocus in a different language.