If you want to get the most out of your fonts, then PopChar is the right tool for you. Most of your fonts contain thousands of characters, many more than you can access from the keyboard. PopChar makes "typing" of unusual characters easy without having to remember keyboard combinations. Whenever you need a special character, PopChar is there to help. Click the "P" in the menu bar to display a table of characters. Select the desired character and it instantly appears in your document.
PopChar works with all modern applications that support Unicode. It makes it easy to navigate and search within fonts that contain thousands of characters. Search for characters by their names, find fonts that contain certain characters, explore the character set of fonts, collect your favorite characters, insert HTML symbols. PopChar makes all these font-related tasks easy. You can even take a new look at fonts from a designer's perspective - get thorough information about your fonts, see a font preview, check out what a given text fragment looks like in a certain font, and print beautiful font sheets.
What is new in this release:
- [BLOCK bb] in layout descriptions (where bb is the name of a Unicode Block, such as "Basic Latin" or "Cyrillic") includes all characters from the specified block.
- [FIND ss] in layout descriptions includes all characters that match the search string ss (example: [FIND arrow]).
- [BLOCK-OTHER bb] in layout descriptions includes all characters from the Unicode block bb that are not already present in the layout.
- [OTHER] in layout descriptions includes all remaining characters that are not explicitly defined otherwise.
- When PopChar is not registered with a license key, the message at the top of the window now tells what to do.
- Preview pictures for the "P" placement in PopChar's preferences now reflect the appearance on Sierra and newer.
- New metrics adjustments for 33 fonts.
- Improved vertical spacing of characters to avoid truncation of ornaments that extend beyond the font's bounding box.
- When selecting "Font Preview" or "Sample Text", PopChar switches to the previously used text template instead of automatically switching to "Custom Sample Text" or "Editable Text".
- PopChar now correctly remembers the previously set up custom sample text.
- Works around a problem that caused PopChar to hang when trying to find ligatures in certain corrupted fonts.
- Fixes an incorrect definition of the "Warang Citi" Unicode block.
- Fixes a misplaced checkbox in the French version of PopChar's preferences window.
- Internal cleanup of resources that are no longer needed.
What is new in version 7.6:
- Support for Unicode 9.0.
- Improved scroll position and highlighting after "Show x in Unicode Context".
- PopChar launches faster when a different version was installed previously.
- Fixes a misleading date in the registration message for temporary beta licenses.
- Works around a bug in MS Word where Word does not open double-clicked documents when PopChar's "As in Document" option is enabled for Word.
- Fixes incorrect highlighting of missing characters in the Font Info and Sample text views.
What is new in version 7.5:
- In Apple Color Emoji, PopChar now shows combination characters that are created from "zero width joiner" character sequences (such as couple and family icons).
- The "Font Info" view now contains information about the font format (OpenType, TrueType, PostScript).
- The keyboard shortcut for opening the PopChar window may now include the enter key.
- Typing with the mouse pointer over the character table now starts a search without needing to select the search field first.
- When a new version is available, the message in the Preferences window now also informs about the current version.
- Fixes a cosmetic issue with partially truncated character descriptions.
- More tolerant handling of dashes in license key.
- Fixes an installation problem during an update when the previous version had been moved to the trash.
- "invalid advancement" problems of fonts are now reported in the console log only once.
- Fixes a problem that resulted in a large empty space when looking for a character in a collapsed group.
- Improved handling of previous preference settings when switching between different PopChar versions.
- New troubleshooting function for fixing off-screen windows.
What is new in version 7.4:
- In Apple Color Emoji, PopChar now shows the available flags with searchable names.
- Fine-tuned metrics adjustments for certain fonts, in particular some handwriting fonts.
- Improved clipboard-based insertion technique.
- Fixes a minor cosmetic issue with the group pop-up button on retina displays.
What is new in version 7.3.1:
- Fixes a problem where the group selection box in the top right of the character table was covered by the table.
- The character table's scroll bar is now always visible.
What is new in version 7.2:
- Support for Unicode 8.0.
- PopChar is prepared for El Capitan (solves a problem that resulted in empty character tables).
- PopChar now includes searchable descriptions and Mandarin pronunciations of Chinese characters, according to the Unicode standard.
- PopChar now shows a small keyboard symbol next to the keyboard combination for the selected character.
- Loading of character names when the PopChar window opens is now about 6 times faster.
- Produces fewer console log messages when searching for shapes and importing favorite characters.
- The character description at the bottom of the table consists of up to two lines for longer descriptions.
- Works around a situation in which a new version could not be installed because an active older version would not quit.
- Fixes a problem that caused the "Mark Fonts Containing..." command to fail for characters outside the first Unicode plane.
- Works around a cosmetic issue with vertical offsets of characters from different fonts.
- More robust handling of font families with inaccessible font members (which also solves a problem with fallback fonts on El Capitan).
- Fine-tuned size adjustments for more than 20 fonts, in particular many fonts for Arabic.
- Works around a problem in MS Word 2016 that caused the creation of bookmarks around copied text fragments.
- Works around an issue that caused PopChar to become unresponsive when FreeHand was the current application.
- Fixes an insertion problem in CorelDRAW.
What is new in version 7.1:
- When a new version is available, PopChar now shows a message that tells whether the new version is free.
- The Registration window now contains information about the issue date of the registered license key.
- When a new version is available, you can now check the new features before downloading the new version.
- Works around a bug in FileMaker, where certain characters could not be inserted.
- Fixes a bug in the export of favorite characters, when some favorite characters were outside the basic multilingual plane.
- Fixes a confusing message when a new version is available.
- Internal improvements in the implementation of update checking.
- Built-in installer adapted to new functions and appearance of Yosemite.
- Works around an occasional installation problem when the target folder was not writable.
- The installer now helps with purchasing and updating licenses when the current license does not cover the new version.
- When an emoji character is not available in the current font, it is now shown in the Apple Color Emoji font, which avoids empty cells in the PopChar table.
- Faster startup.
- Reduced memory footprint when PopChar is not actively used.
- PopChar now shows the names of the Emoji skin tone characters (which are not yet defined in the currently official Unicode version 7).
- Improved reliability of the formatted insertion technique.
- Works around a situation where the character table was scrolled to an unexpected offset after a font change.
- Fixes a problem that resulted in an invisible registration hint in trial mode.
- Works around an issue that could result in increasing memory usage over time.
What is new in version 7.0:
- Graphical shape finder for finding characters by drawing the desired shape.
- Find similar shapes
- Font filter for limiting the font list to fonts that match a given text.
- PopChar can now export and import the favorite characters to and from a text file.
- New window layout with permanently visible font list.
- Larger font for the font list.
- New technological basis (new compiler, new libraries, faster code, etc.).
- Easier resizing of the PopChar window from the corners.
- Improved navigation with the tab key.
- Improved appearance (in particular, regarding text in user interface elements) on Yosemite.
- Improved handling of special characters when searching for characters by their Unicode number.
- Works around a font metrics issue in Asana-Math.
- Characters are no longer drawn with shadows by default (but the option to add shadows still exists in PopChar's preferences).
- High-resolution artwork, some items redesigned to better match Yosemite.
- Reduced flickering when the mouse pointer moves between parts of the PopChar window.
- Works around an issue that caused PopChar to initially open with an inaccessible font on Mavericks and Yosemite.
- Fixes a problem that caused a manual check for new versions to fail.
- Fixes a cosmetic issue with misaligned items in the PopChar window.
- Starting with version 7.0, PopChar X requires OS X 10.6 or newer.
What is new in version 6.7:
- Faster refresh for recently used fonts.
- Faster computation of available characters and layouts.
- Faster refresh of the font table when a search for characters is active.
- The menu icon now shows the correct background on all system versions and appearance variants.
- Fixes a problem that resulted in invisible characters on Macs with PowerPC processors.
- Improved handling of low-level issues in library components helps to avoid crashes in some system configurations.
- Works around a problem that could lead to freezes when the set of available fonts changed.
- Works around a timing problem with automatic selection of the Find field on Yosemite.
Some characters disabled