SMPlayer is a free multimedia player for Windows and Linux with built-in codecs that can play virtually all video and audio formats. It doesn't need any external codecs. Just install SMPlayer and you'll be able to play all formats without the hassle to find and install codec packs.
One of the most interesting features of SMPlayer: it remembers the settings of all files you play. So you start to watch a movie but you have to leave. don't worry, when you open that movie again it will be resumed at the same point you left it, and with the same settings: audio track, subtitles, volume.
SMPlayer can also play videos from YouTube and other sites. Other features: Automatically find and download subtitles. Thumbnail generator. Many audio and video filters. Skins. Available in more than 30 languages.
What is new in this release:
- Now it's possible to the search for subtitles using the filename instead of a hash.
- Fix for the OSD when using SMPlayer with mpv 0.26.
What is new in version 17.4.2:
- New option (menu View -> OSD) to display the times with milliseconds.
- New fix for the thumbnail generator that works also with older versions of mpv.
- Bugfix: the position of the video is remembered when it's opened by drag & drop.
- The Windows installer won't install mpv on Windows XP since mpv is not longer compatible with Windows XP.
- New option to use the mplayer ffhevcvdpau decoder (Linux only).
- Avoid some crashes from mpv.
What is new in version 17.3.0:
- Experimental support for subtitles for Chromecast.
- Bug fixes.
What is new in version 17.2.0:
- Fix for YouTube.
- The option to delete files from the disk in the playlist is back but it's disabled by default (you can enable it in Preferences -> Playlist -> Misc).
- On Linux SMPlayer now uses a different web server, included in the packages, to serve files for Chromecast. If you installed the package webfs you can uninstall it now since SMPlayer won't use it anymore.
- New translation: Norwegian
What is new in version 16.4.0:
- New option to shut down the computer when playback has finished.
- Improve search for subtitles.