For many years, the Atari 2600 reigned supreme as the most popular game console on the market. Years later, Atari's stranglehold on the market would dissipate as the Nintendo Entertainment System redefined 8-bit gaming, but die-hard fans and collectors still continue to support the Atari. One would think that the weak Atari 2600 should be simple to emulate, because of its primitive architecture. However, the Atari programmers employed many devious tricks to get such an early machine to run; therefore, a working, efficient emulator is very difficult to write.
What is new in this release:
- Fixed bug whereby text input could not be entered in certain widgets in the debugger.
- Updated UNIX configure script to work with GCC 5.x compilers.
What is new in version 4.6:
- Finally fixed fullscreen rendering issues on some OpenGL implementations in Linux (mostly Intel-specific). Basically, the concept of 'dirty updates' has been removed; the window is now updated continuously. This may also fix issues some people were having with triple-buffering in Windows Direct3D, etc.
- Fixed sound corruption that happened when running a ROM for the first time. This was most obvious under OSX, but occasionally happened on other systems too.
- Reverted some minor C++11 features (std::regex and cbegin/cend iterators) in a few places, since otherwise GCC 4.9 is required to compile Stella, and it isn't available on many systems yet. These changes allow Stella to be built with GCC 4.8, which is present in the latest 'long term release' of Ubuntu.
- Fixed error messages on state loading; sometimes multiple messages were being added together and displayed.
- Fixed bug when running ROMs using AtariVox controllers; the app would crash upon exiting the ROM.
- Snapshot functionality now works while the emulation is paused.
- Certain textfields in the UI now have filtering enabled, preventing insertion of illegal characters. This will be extended throughout the code in future releases.
- DataGridWidgets in the debugger now respond to keypad '+' and '-'.
- Updated included PNG library to latest stable version.