WhatRoute is a network diagnostic utility designed for Apple Macintosh computers. Primarily it provides a Traceroute function, but can also perform Ping, Domain Name Service queries, Whois queries and monitor the traffic to and from your computer. The software also uses a Geo-Location service to provide a geographical view of the paths that packets from your computer take as they traverse the Internet. These results may be passed to Google Earth for higher resolution display.
What is new in this release:
- Mapping - Use Apple Maps - Google Maps is optional.
- DNS Lookup - Option to show server trace.
- Flow Inspector - Show DNS Cache statistics.
- Bandwidth Monitor - Show filled graphs.
- Action window - Start/Stop controls added to Touch Bar
- Flow Monitor window - Start/Stop controls added to Touch Bar
- Netscan - Sort final results. Intermediate results are unsorted.
- Bandwidth collector - do not run on the main thread
- DNS - Use CFHost to enable query timeouts.
- Fixed hang at shutdown.
- Fixed more memory leaks.
What is new in version 2.0.5:
- Bogon Updates from cymru - always wait 24 hours between updates.
- Combo Boxes (Hosts, DNS, Whois) - Editor to add/delete/order items.
- Flow Monitor - Overall efficiency improvements.
- Flow Monitor - All machines on LAN have same location if NAT'd.
- Flow Monitor - Display process name, PID and App icon if possible.
- Flow Monitor - Right click on PID or process name to terminate process.
- Flow Monitor - Display source and destination locations.
- Inspector - Show location cache statistics.
- Netstat - Added verbose option.
- Whois - Set server specific options (e.g. for RIPE).
- Race in Donate that prevented window from being dismissed.
- Race in Flow Monitor that could cause memory corruption.
What is new in version 2.0.4:
- IP Locations - Asynchronous lookup to give speedier map updates.
- IP Locations - Refactor storage to save memory.
- Map - Display IP location accuracy_radius - as supplied by MaxMind.
- Map - preload country locations.
- Map - mouse tracking consumes less cpu.
- Whois - now has a default set of whois servers.
- Fixed possible buffer overflow when displaying IPv6 addresses.
- CFBundleVersion changed to decimal. Previously was hex.
What is new in version 1.13.1:
- Cache data now saved in JSON files (previously was xml)
- Fixed recent hosts popup menu drawing glitch when adding new hosts
- Recompiled with Xcode 6.1.1
What is new in version 1.13.0:
- Bug Fix - Was generating invalid whois query
- Bug Fix - Country flags were not displaying in Map window
- Recompiled with Xcode 6.0.1
- Tested on Yosemite (OSX 10.0 beta)
- Added refresh interval control to Flow Monitor
- Added ASN query function
- Added ASN query function
- Bug fixes and code refactoring