WordDump is an application, contextual menu and service for extracting all the words from documents. Supported document formats include Text, PDF, MS Word, HTML and RTF.
The WordDump service, available from the Services menu, also counts the characters and words in files and text selection. These menu items are called "Count Characters" and "Count Words." You may need to turn on the option to display the service menu items in the Services Preferences of System Preferences.
The word Dump service now also provides a facility for decoding data in Base64, a common encoding for attachments in mail messages. This menu items is called "Decode Base64" and can operate on Base64 encoded text selections and files. In either case you will be prompted for the location of the file containing the decoded data. You will need to choose the file extension on your own to properly represent the data. (For images there is a Limit Point Software utility called "Scaxion" which can do this for you if the data is known to be an image that can be displayed with QuickTime.)
Also: "Spell Out Number" service command. This service works on text that is a number, dumping it's value as a language string, placing the result on the clipboard ("pings" when done, "beeps" on error.) Examples:
1461.2 - one thousand four hundred and sixty-one point two
2010 - two thousand and ten
60007896786543 - sixty trillion, seven billion, eight hundred and ninety-six million, seven hundred and eighty-six thousand, five hundred and forty-three
Once the application is installed, and run once, the Keyboard System Preference pane can be used to access Services Preferences. The WordDump menu items are displayed as Count Characters, Count Words, decode Base64, DumpWords.
Note: The program must be initially activated by launching it after installation. This will enable the trial for up to about ten days.
WordDump is a member of the Limit Point Software "Utilities Bundle" which includes all software listed at http://www.limit-point.com/Utilities.html. Purchase a Utilities password to activate all the utilities, including WordDump. Updates are free, new products included!
What is new in this release:
- The app now has a status window which displays progress. You can drop files onto it to begin processing or word extraction, as well as onto the app's icon in the Finder or Dock. This window also has a Help button to access more information on the app from within the program.
- Using the new status window you can now stop and quit the app processing.
- Bug fix: When the preference option to "Quit when done" was selected, it was not observed when using the app as a Service.
- The File menu now has an "Open" menu item for selecting files for word extraction using a file navigation dlalog window.
- During processing, the app is now kept in the foreground as the resulting word extraction files are opened in TextEdit. Also, these files are now saved to the "WrodDump" folder in the Limit Point Software folder of the Application Support folder, to meet Apple User Interface Guidlines.
10 day trial with no functional limitations