Send any audio to AirPort Express units, Apple TVs, and even other Macs and PCs, all in sync! It's your audio everywhere. With Airfoil you can take audio from any application and send to your AirPort Express units, as well as Apple TVs, and even other Macs and PCs running Airfoil Speakers! Transmit audio from RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, QuickTime Player, and other media players. Send audio from web-based applications like Pandora, Last.fm, and other to the AirPort Express. You can even stream audio from audio devices like RadioSHARK, XM and Sirius radios, around your house.
What is new in this release:
- Major Enhancement: Airfoil now has full compatibility with Apple's new HomePod, enabling you to send any audio to the device.
- Bug Fix: Airfoil now correctly identifies an improperly configured HomePod (which reports error 400), and will instruct how to adjust settings to enable connections.
- Enhancement: Entries in the passcode field, used for Apple TV access, are no longer needlessly bullet-obscured.
What is new in version 5.6.4:
- Major Enhancement: Several improvements have been made for Apple TV support. These include correctly resetting stored passwords that have gone stale, correctly reporting incorrect passcodes, correcting an issue where pairing could fail with tvOS 11 in some cases, and even properly calling the device an "Apple TV" (not an "AppleTV").
- Other: The Preferences window no longer incorrectly allows minimizing.
What is new in version 5.6:
Major Enhancement: Airfoil once again has full support for streaming to all models of Apple TV! All security modes are supported, including Password, Passcode, First-Time Passcode, and Device Verification.
Critical Bug Fix: An issue where the local Computer output could lose sync has been corrected.
Enhancement: The audio capture backend has been updated to be more robust, and this new style capture is now used by default when Instant On is installed. Users shouldn't notice any changes.
Enhancement: Instant On has been updated to version 8.4.2, with minor fixes and improvements.
Enhancement: Airfoil Satellite now has an “is-connected” AppleScript property.
Bug Fix: Airfoil Satellite now activates more reliably when the “Show” hotkey is pressed.
Other: Many other small improvements, enhancements, and fixes have been made.
What is new in version 5.5.2:
- Major Enhancement: Instant On has been updated to version 8.4.1, with full support for MacOS 10.12 (Sierra) and other small improvements.
- Enhancement: Additional improvements have been made for streaming audio to Google's Chromecast Ultra.
- Enhancement: Several small changes have been made to increase resilience and prevent problems due to sporadic network issues.
- Bug Fix: The Pause control now works as expected with Hermes.app.
What is new in version 5.5.1:
- Major Enhancement: Initial support for Google's new Chromecast Ultra device. Further updates may be forthcoming.
- Bug Fix: Airfoil Satellite's AppleScript now correctly reports metadata when receiving audio from iTunes or iOS devices.
What is new in version 5.1.1:
Major Enhancement: Instant On has been updated to version 8.3, with preliminary support for MacOS 10.12 (Sierra).
Bug Fix: The Advanced Speaker Options window didn't properly reload after unhiding a speaker that isn't currently available, but now it does.
Bug Fix for Airfoil Satellite: When iTunes changes its Airplay selector, it's now properly detected.
Other: Airfoil now offers to overwrite a custom EQ preset if you choose the same name.
What is new in version 5.1:
Enhancement: The Effects window has been updated with an improved design.
Enhancement: The Instant On component has been updated to version 8.2.6, with a plethora of small fixes and improvements.
Enhancement: Airfoil now sends retina-quality album artwork to Airfoil Satellite, if Airfoil Satellite is running on a retina Mac.
Enhancement: It's now possible to right-click on a speaker in the main window to hide it from view. To restore its visibility, use the Advanced Speaker Options window.
Airfoil Satellite Enhancement: When transmitting iTunes with Airfoil, pressing the back button in Airfoil Satellite will now rewind to the beginning of the current track, instead of moving to the previous track.
Bug Fix: Airfoil Satellite's local audio play-through preference is now properly respected on reconnection.
Bug Fix: A problem where an incorrect speaker password wasn't properly cleared has been corrected.
Bug Fix: Local audio device name changes are now displayed immediately.
Other: Speakers in the Automation Preferences area are now sorted in the same order as the main window, and Groups are labeled as such.
Other: Several small visual improvements have been made.
What is new in version 4.8.14:
- A memory usage issue was introduced in Airfoil 4.8.13, which could cause dropouts, disconnections, or hangs, in some circumstances. Said issue has been shown the door, as it was most unwelcome.
What is new in version 4.8.13:
- A rare problem where a sending Mac might fail to send audio to a remote speaker is no more.
- Minor Enhancement: Instant On 8.0.6 is included, bringing minor bug fixes.
- An AppleScript issue with object references, introduced in 4.8.12, has been removed in 4.8.13
- Airfoil now reports when Apple TVs have Device Verification enabled.
- Other minor improvements have been made.
What is new in version 4.8.12:
Several improvements/workarounds-for-Apple's-bugs have been made. When Airfoil is transmitting to a speaker, it will no longer disconnect when that speaker's Bonjour record disappears. As well, Airfoil no longer has a timeout for resolving Bonjour services.
An AppleScript bug where multiple Airfoil Speakers Touch instances were not properly uniquely identified has been corrected.
A crash accidentally introduced in Airfoil 4.8.11 has been whatever the opposite of introduced is. Annihilated? Sure, let's go with that.
Instant On 8.0.5 contains several small improvements to the backend, for compatibility with both current and future products.
What is new in version 4.8.11:
- Airfoil can now capture Phone Relay audio from FaceTime on Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). Just select FaceTime and capture!
- When network issues occur, Airfoil now reconnects to speakers more reliably.
- In addition, wi-fi issues on Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) have been worked around to avoid a DACP error which could occur.
- Instant On 8.0.4 improves compatibility with Accessibility's VoiceOver function, fixes several small issues with sound effects device handling, and improves the backend for compatibility with both current and future products.
- Airfoil's firewall detection has been improved.
- Previously, Airfoil Remote for iOS could still control Airfoil, even if the Remote Control preference was off. That bit of silliness is now fixed.
- In the past, when an incorrect password was provided for a password-protected speaker, Airfoil did not re-request it. We've fixed that.
- A WebKit bug in Yosemite has been worked around to reduce flickering in the Help manual.
- We've fixed a bug where Airfoil's main window position was not correctly remembered if it was against the menu bar. That was weird, huh?
- The menu bar icons for Airfoil and Airfoil Speakers have been updated for Retina.
- Airfoil Video Player now better handles badly-formatted URLs.
- As Front Row was removed way back in Mac OS X 10.7, support for it has now also been removed from Airfoil.
- Other minor Airplay bug fixes have been made as well.
What is new in version 4.8.10:
- Netflix videos should now properly play in Airfoil Video Player on Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).
- A minor update to Instant On, taking it to version 8.0.2, fixes a few small issues.
- The Developer News window is now disabled if the "Automatically check for software updates" preference is disabled.