A Browser for Our Friends
In 1994, two programmers started working on a web browser. The idea was to make a really fast browser, capable of running on limited hardware, keeping in mind that users are individuals with their own requirements and wishes. Opera was born.
Our little piece of software gained traction, our group grew, and we formed a community. We stayed close to our users and our roots. We kept improving our software based on our user feedback, as well as our own ideas on how to make a great browser. We innovated and strove for excellence.
Fast forward to 2015. The browser we once loved has changed its direction. Sadly, it is no longer serving its community of users and contributors who helped build the browser in the first place.
So we came to a natural conclusion: we must make a new browser. A browser for ourselves and for our friends. A browser that is fast, but also a browser that is rich in functionality, highly flexible and puts the user first. A browser that is made for you.
And so, Vivaldi is born.
What is new in this release:
- Added Tab stack and tab selection tiling in vertical, horizontal and grid organization. Improved Notes both visually and functionally. Now you can add more attachments and screenshots.
- Added support for more mouse gestures, including link gestures.
- Added more keyboard shortcuts and improved keyboard shortcut editing.
- Added Unread tab indicator to both tabs and tab stacks.
- Added optional Native window support for better integration with Linux WMs in particular. Added Auto update on Windows.
- Increased the number of supported languages to 40.
- Added data import from all major browsers.
- Added on-demand image and plugin controls so that you can load only what you need.
- Added Background tab progress indicator.
- Improved both Fast Forward and Rewind functionality.
- Significantly improved Spatial navigation.
- Improved Page actions.
- Added more options to the download dialog. It now has both "Save" and "Save As" in addition to "Open".
- Added a new option to the bookmarks bar, so that you can have a very compact bookmarks bar with icons only.
- Added full screen reminder option.
- Some performance tuning
- A lot of bug fixes and polish