Mozilla Thunderbird makes e-mailing safer, faster, and easier with such features as intelligent spam filters, a built-in RSS reader, and quick search. Thunderbird was designed to prevent viruses and to stop junk mail. Thunderbird includes tabbed e-mail, new search tools and indexing, smart folders, support for Firefox's Personas, a simplified setup wizard, and robust junk protections that include phishing and spam filters. Thunderbird has a junk mail tools have been updated to stay ahead of spam and features Phishing protection.
What is new in this release:
- Display name was truncated if no separating space before email address.
- Recipient addresses were shown in red despite being inserted from the address book in some circumstances.
- Additional spaces were inserted when drafts were edited.
- Mail saved as template copied In-Reply-To and References from original email.
- Threading broken when editing message draft, due to loss of Message-ID
- "Apply columns to..." did not honor special folders
What is new in version 45.3.0:
- Fixed: Certain messages caused corruption of the drafts summary database.
- Fixed: "edit as new message" on a received message pre-filled the sender as the composing identity.
- Fixed: Disposition-Notification-To could not be used in mail.compose.other.header
- Fixed: Various security fixes
What is new in version 45.2.0:
- Invitations to events could not be printed.
- Dragging and dropping of contacts from the contact list onto an addressbook while All Addressbooks is selected moved only one contact
- Falsely reported not enough disk space during compacting
- Links were not always detected properly in the message body (terminated early on "|", some long links not detected at all)
What is new in version 45.1.1:
- When entering members into a mailing list, the enter key dismissed the panel instead of just moving onto the next line
- Email without HTML elements was sent as HTML, despite "Delivery Format: Auto-detect" option
- Options applied to a template were lost when the template was used.
- Contacts could not be deleted when they were found through a search
- Views from global searches did not respect "mail.threadpane.use_correspondents"
What is new in version 45.1.0:
- Fixed: Drag & Drop a contact name from Thunderbird address book (list view) to address box in a new message “compose” window failed.
- Fixed: UI elements became larger when moused over on retina displays/monitor on Mac OS X
- Fixed: DIGEST-MD5 authentication in JS-XMPP failed for some users (now disabled).
- Fixed: Font indicator in compose falsely claimed certain fonts were not installed.
- Fixed: Printing failed in composition window.
- Fixed: Various improvements in handling of message compose in paragraph mode.
- Fixed: Automatic correspondents column upgrade disabled
What is new in version 45.0:
- Add a Correspondents column combining Sender and Recipient
- Much better support for XMPP chatrooms and commands.
- Remote content exceptions: Improved options to add exceptions.
- Implement option to always use HTML formatting to prevent unexpected format loss when converting messages to plain text.
- Use OpenStreetmap for maps (even allow the user to choose from list of map services)
- Allow spell checking and dictionary selection in the subject line
- Allow editing of From when composing a message.
- Add dropdown in compose to allow specific setting of font size.
- Return/Enter in composer will now insert a new paragraph by default (shift-Enter will insert a line break)
- Allow copying of name and email address from the message header of an email
- Mail.ru supports OAuth authentication.
- Fixed: When sending e-mail which was composed using Chinese, Japanese or Korean characters, unwanted extra spaces were inserted within the text.
- Fixed: Spell checker checked spelling in invisible HTML parts of the message.
- Fixed: When saving a draft that is edited as new message, original draft was overwritten.
- Fixed: External images not displayed in reply/forward
- Fixed: Crashed in some cases while parsing IMAP messages.
- Fixed: Properly preserve pre-formatted blocks in message replies.
- Fixed: Copy/paste from a plain text editor lost white-space (multiple spaces/blanks, tabs, newlines)
- Fixed: "Open Draft"/"Forward"/"Edit As New"/"Reply" created message composition with incorrect character encoding.
- Fixed: Grouped By view sort direction change was broken, plus enabled custom column grouping.
- Fixed: New emails into a mailbox did not adhere to sort order by received.
- Fixed: Box.com attachments failed to upload.
- Fixed: Drag and drop of multiple attachments failed to OS file folder.
- Fixed: XMPP had connection problems for users with large rosters
What is new in version 38.7.2:
Version 38.7.2 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
What is new in version 38.6.0:
- Fixed: Various security fixes.
- Fixed: Filters ran on a different folder than selected
- Fixed: For Windows systems on roaming profiles, could not display messages after Thunderbird update (related to Lightning updates)
What is new in version 38.5.1:
Use a SHA-256 signing certificate for Windows builds, to meet new signing requirements.
What is new in version 38.2.0:
- Hardware acceleration is now disabled by default to avoid crashing Thunderbird.
- A few bugs have been fixed to avoid crashing Thunderbird.
What is new in version 38.0.1:
- New: GMail supports OAuth2 authentication, removing the need to manually select "allow less secure applications" in Google options for the account.
- New: Ship Lightning calendar addon with Thunderbird and enable with an opt-out dialog
- New: Filter sent messages
- New: Filter messages when archived
- New: Enable search in multiple/all address books
- New: Add support for Yahoo Messenger in Chat
- New: Support Internationalized domain name URLs for RSS feeds
- New: Show expanded columns in folder pane
- New: Allow file-per-message (maildir) local message storage
- New: Add a Learn more link to the support page in feeds subscribe dialog
- New: Add reading position marker line to conversations
- New: The editor for twitter should show inputtable character count
- Changed: Thunderbird will no longer use SHA-1 to sign messages
- Changed: Removed rarely used character sets: T.61-8bit, non-encoding Mac encoders, VISCII, x-viet-tcvn5712, x-viet-vps x-johab, ARMSCII8 , map us-ascii to windows-1252, ISO-8859-6-I and -E and ISO-8859-8-E
- Changed: Disable CONDSTORE support for IMAP to prevent discrepancies in IMAP message status (deleted, unread) on some servers
- Changed: Make OpenSearch queries open in the user's default browser
- Changed: Default to using SSL for XMPP and IRC. This might cause issues for self-signed certificates
- Fixed: Replied/forwarded icons disappear after folder repair, detach/delete
- Fixed: Attachment "Save As" files are displayed in Tools/Saved Files
- Fixed: Adding unknown email addresses to Mailing list, then deleting ghost duplicate entries from contacts pane, caused dataloss in mailing list
- Fixed: Web site from RSS feed was not rendered correctly
- Fixed: Email address with leading/trailing whitespace displayed wrongly with added quotes when composing ["foo"@bar.com]
- Fixed: Force display of Sender header if S/MIME sender is the signer
- Fixed: Addressing autocomplete widget: Typed text in red despite results/matches found if suggestions change by last input
- Fixed: Status bar not accessible
- Fixed: Wrong folder may be deleted when requesting junk delete
- Fixed: Severe UI stutter or freezes getting new mail for very large folders
- Fixed: Automatically rejoin multi-user conversations on reconnect for XMPP
- Fixed: Various improvements when using IRC on moznet
- Fixed: Significantly improve XMPP support
- Fixed: Fixes for connecting to non-standard IRC networks
- Fixed: Automatically reclaim IRC nicks during a reconnect
- Fixed: Changing location in editor doesn't preserve the font when returning to end of text/line
- Fixed: Inline spell checker loses red underlines after a backspace is used
What is new in version 31.7:
Version 31.7 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
What is new in version 31.6:
What is new in version 31.5:
What is new in version 31.4:
- The previous issues with jp mac builds have now been fixed, and Thunderbird will no longer need to be run in 32-bit mode.
- Installing extensions within Thunderbird no longer requires download and installing as a filee
- Security fixes
What is new in version 31.3:
- Fixed: Fixes an issue where using LDAP autocomplete could end up with blank entries in the compose addressing list
- Fixed: Fixes an issue where IRC participants were not removed from the display on leaving a channel.
- Fixed: Fixes a regression where Thunderbird wasn't respecting the skip integration option on the default client dialog.
- Fixed: Security fixes
What is new in version 31.2:
- Fixed a case where having a contact and card in an address book with the same name could send to the mailing list.
- FIXED: Invalid certificate issue with mozilla::pkix.
- FIXED: Importing an RSA private key fails if p < q.