Papers doesn't just want your PDFs, it will gladly organize all your documents, whether they are word documents, spreadsheets, presentations, posters, scanned receipts, and many more. Papers even has a dedicated space for your own articles, and conference related materials, like your travel documents and posters.
What is new in this release:
- General: Improves app stability.
- General: Resolves a hang on startup for some users with large numbers of papers and/or keywords in their Library.
- Syncing: Several improvements to the reliability and performance of syncing.
- Syncing: Significantly reduces the size of the library on disk when syncing with other devices.
- Search: Further improvements to the stability of the IEEExplore search engine when importing papers.
- Metadata: Opening a paper in Reader no longer causes papers written by that author to disappear from the Authors Sources view or the Papers Library search view, when searching for papers by that author until the next launch of the app.
- Keywords: Improvements to adding a new keyword to a paper when pressing the 'Return' key.
- Sharing: Correct date capitalization when using the "Share → Export… → Notes" function.
- Scripting: Improves scripting support (added properties & elements, as well as some related bug fixes).
- Scripting: A paper's citekey is no longer empty if the paper has never been exported or cited.
- General: Updates CSL styles list.
What is new in version 3.2.8:
Support for the new Bookmetrix service and several performance and stability improvements following on from our other recent Papers 3 for Mac updates.
What is new in version 3.2.7:
- f Mendeley integration: When importing your Mendeley library, collections, annotations and keywords (tags) are now included.
- Papers 3 for Mac now correctly attaches primary PDFs to messages when using Airmail or Airmail 2 with the "Send via Email" option.
- App startup: Improvements to how the app accesses the user's library to reduce the likelihood of slow startup times, as well as improved performance during general app usage.
- Dropbox Sync: Improvements to reliability. Previously when syncing after launching the app, UI refreshes for subsequent sync operations that changed the metadata of library items that had been changed during the first sync would often not occur until relaunching the app.
- Reduces the likelihood of a crash during application startup.
- Reader: No longer crashes when closing all Reader tabs using Cmd+W after launching the app in Reader mode.
- Federated Search: No longer crashes when selecting "Others" when previously having one of the Favourite search engines selected.
- Citations: No longer crashes when generating an example citation of a single publication.
- Stability: Addressed the cause of a memory leak that could occur in certain scenarios.
- Smart Collections: Nested Smart Collections are no longer shown in the pop-over when using the "Add to collection" option. This was incorrect and improves app performance with large libraries with many Smart Collections.
- Keywords: When in the Labels mode, filtering now works correctly in the Keywords search bar.
- Dropbox Sync: Author metadata for papers newly imported on another device is now display correctly in the Info Inspector without needing to relaunch the app.
- Finder integration: Several improvements to the Finder Spotlight search feature.
- Spotlight Search: Improvements to index rebuilding to prevent a crash in rare circumstances.
- Papers 2 Import: Improvements to reliability during the import operation.
- Author editing: Resolves a bug in the Authors screen where it was possible for the "Me" author to become un-editable.
- Collections: Correct identation style for nested collections when viewed in the "Add to collection" pop-over from the Overview Inspector.
- Freehand annotations: Improvements to the selection of previously drawn freehand annotations.
- Look & feel: Tweaks to the look of some icons throughout the app.
What is new in version 3.2.6:
- You can now search the contents of your Papers 3 library in Finder using Spotlight.
- You can now create and edit freehand annotations in Papers 3 for Mac.
- You can now Quick Look and search inside of the Microsoft Office Documents in your Papers library.
- Matching: Addresses the cause of a crash that could occur when using the "Suggested Matches" feature.
- Library management: Improvements to the default names provided for user libraries.
- Library Preferences no longer displays Library Name.
- Author merging: The warning that appears before merging authors now makes clearer which author will be removed by the merge.
- Papers Online: Improved error handling when using Papers Online.
- It is no longer possible to drag annotations into the invisible area around a PDF.
- Notes can now be moved between pages of a PDF again.
What is new in version 3.2.4:
- Look & Feel: Refreshed for OS X 10.10 Yosemite, There are many improvements for users running OS X 10.9 Mavericks and below as well.
- Federated Search: Improved layout.
- Retina support: The app is now optimised for Retina devices.
- Selection styles & controls: improved readability for the List and Columns library view modes - identify currently selected items more easily.
- Libary: You can now edit flag, rating or read/unread metadata for a paper directly from the library list table.
- Overview Inspector: New "Read" and "Cite" quick link buttons for every paper in your library - speed up your workflow!
- Reader: Quickly find a paper in your library by clicking "Reveal" in the Overview inspector - you are brought back to the Libary tab and the paper will be automatically selected in the library list table.
- Reader: Improvements to how tabs look in the Reader view.
- Citations: New look and feel.
- Annotations: A color selector is now present in the Reader bottom bar when adding highlights or underlines to a paper.
- Sources: The Sources drop-down menu is now more prominent when using the Sources view.
- Sources: ISSN is now available as an option in the Sources editor.
- Highlighting: The choice of current highlight annotation color is now remembered between app launches when adding subsequent highlights.
- Look & Feel: New icons and images as part of the refreshed look of Papers 3 for Mac for OS X 10.10 Yosemite.
Other New Features
- Supplemental PDFs can now optionally be exported along with primary PDFs when using the File → Export… → PDF Files & Media option.
- Exported supplemental PDFs can now optionally have their annotations exported.
- Annotations made to PDFs in external applications can now be made editable within the Papers Reader view by using the View → Annotate → Extract Embedded Annotations option.
Performance & Stability
- PDFs associated with library items are no longer deleted when adding those items to the Reading List if "Move original file to Trash on import" is selected in the Preferences.
- Dragging a supplemental file to Finder now correctly copies the supplemental file rather than the primary PDF.
- Supplemental files are now correctly imported and exported with Papers Archive files.
- User-added keywords are no longer removed when using the "Match" functionality.
- Better sorting of shared collections: The imported date for papers added to Papers Online shared collections is now treated as the date that the paper was added to the shared collection (rather than the date the paper is imported into the user's local library).
- Fixes an occasional crash at launch when running on versions of Mac OS X older than 10.9.
- Author metadata is now added to the Info inspector when importing BibTeX, Endnote or RIS files.
- Color labels, flag status and ratings are now persisted when moving papers to a Papers Online shared collection or the Reading List.
- Consistent syncing status messages and status light indicators during and after syncing.
- The subtitle field in the Info inspector now wraps text onto a new line when changing the wide of the sidebar panel.
- When selecting the same paper in different collections simulatenously, the status message in the bottom bar is now updated correctly.
- Removes a cause of "Waiting for app shut down" messages and delays when quitting the app or shutting down your Mac.
- User preferences for some options such as page rotation and show / hide cover pages are now persisted between app launches.
- Changing the publication date in the Inspector Info tab now correctly updates the date in the Overview tab, the Reader screen tab and the List, Grid and Coverflow views.
- PDF Display menu items are again available from the View menu.
What is new in version 3.2.3:
This release builds upon the stability improvements introduced in the 3.2.2 update for user running on both Mavericks (OS X 10.9) and Yosemite (OS X 10.10). We've also included some minor tweaks to the app for improved user experience!