Plone is an open source, platform-independent, freely distributed and ready-to-use content management system (CMS) implemented in Python and built on top of the powerful Zope 2 Application Server and Zope CMF (Content Management Framework).
It’s an easy to install and powerful CMS solutionIn other words, Plone CMS is a web-based application that has been designed to offer a powerful content management solution to all users who want to build a portal or other website type in minutes, without too much hassle.
The application is very easy to install and setup, standards compliant, highly configurable, extendable (through thousands of modules), themeable and flexible, supporting multiple languages.
Used by Free Software Foundation, NASA, NokiaIt includes an admin panel and the necessary documentation for you to create the website you’ve always dreamed of. It is known to be used by major organizations, such as Free Software Foundation (FSF), NASA (Near-Earth Object Wide-field Survey Explorer), Amnesty, Nokia, Yale University, and many others, for their official website.
Getting started with PloneTo get started with Plone is easy as pie. All you have to do is to grab the latest release of the software from either Softoware or the project’s official website (see the homepage link at the end of the article), save the archive on your Home directory, unpack it, open a Terminal app, move to the location of the extracted folder (e.g. cd /home/softoware/Plone-4.3.4-UnifiedInstaller) and run the ‘sudo sh install.sh’ command.
It’s multi-platform and technology neutralA quick look under the hood of the Plone project, will tell us that it has been written in the Python programming language and the UNIX Shell scripting language. It is independent of a hardware architecture, so you will be able to use it on 32 and 64-bit computer platforms.
The program runs on any operating systems, including all GNU/Linux distributions, as well as BSD, Solaris, Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X flavors, it is technology neutral and interoperates with both commercial and open source relational databases.
What is new in this release:
- Bugfix release for the Plone 4.3.x series.
What is new in version 4.0.6:
- Fix form tab navigation when it has more than 6 tabs under ie, chrome, safari. This fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11815. [thomasdesvenain]
- Let the content import step (importing the site structure) not depend on plone-final but on typeinfo. Solves circular dependency. Refs http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/8350 [maurits]
- Backport fix zope.sendmail patch to raise errors for immediate sending failures. Relates to http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/10675. [elro]
- Fix form submission when it has more than 5 tabs. This fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/10868. [thomasdesvenain]
- Fix cicular dependency in import steps. This partially fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/8350 [kiorky]
What is new in version 4.1 Beta 2:
- Release Plone 4.1b2 [esteele]
- Depend on wicked now that Products.CMFPlone doesn't. [davisagli]
What is new in version 4.0.5:
- Fixed: "showing field with error is broken in edit view" This fixes https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11686. [gotcha]
- Fixed: "missing required icon in tabs in edit view" This fixes https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11685. [gotcha]
- Added "rss" alias to "RSS". This fixes https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11638. [gotcha]
- Fixed: "Show all" livesearch link manages "current folder only" option. This fixes https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11414. [thomasdesvenain]
- Fixed: "Show all" was not displayed in live search when limit result was exceeded. This fixes https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11628. [thomasdesvenain]
What is new in version 4.0.4:
- Remove useless trailing slash in 404. This fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11550 [gotcha]
- Use correct argument order in utranslate.py script. This fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/10395 [fRiSi]
- Add missing security declarations on PropertiesTool. [davisagli]
- Add fallback icon for control panels with no icon, in the portlet_prefs portlet. This fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/tickets/11112. [topherh, davisagli]
- Remove js-generated inline style from searchbox. Same CSS is in public.css. See http://dev.plone.org/plone/changeset/40654, Fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11186 [msmith64]
- Fixed handling of relative links used as default pages This fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11340 [fRiSi]
- Re-instate spinner.gif (animation), lost in the move to PNGs. The static spinner.png has been deprecated. Fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11504 [mj]
What is new in version 4.1 Alpha 2:
- Include plone.app.caching as an optional, shipped add-on.
What is new in version 4.1 Alpha 1:
- Separate Products.CMFPlone from the Plone egg. [elro]
What is new in version 4.0.3:
- Change PloneBatch class to work with actual_result_count alone instead of calculating the length of the provided sequence. [hannosch]
- Pass on batching hints to the catalog query in getFolderContents. [hannosch]
- Make role/permission settings consistent in Plone root http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7922 [tom_gross]
- Added some css ids on login form. [thomasdesvenain]
- Fixed possible Unauthorized error when registering a user when using the email address as login name. [maurits]
- Fixed errors on kss update in portal factory. This fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11311. [thomasdesvenain]
- In the registration tool strip the mail text before passing it through message_from_string. A leading white line would prevent getting Subject, To and From headers from the generated message. [maurits]
- Avoid various deprecation warnings under Zope 2.13. [hannosch]
What is new in version 4.0.2:
- Added fill-slot to events_listing.pt that was not showing any events. This fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11216. [jmansilla, WouterVH]
- Fixed factory.addPloneSite so extension profiles have a chance of specifying site properties in a properties.xml file. [hannosch]
- Edit tab on Author page pointed to personal preferences page instead of personal information. This fixes http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11141. [piv]
- Fixed http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11160, first level of Table of Contents is a level with at least two entries. [thomasdesvenain]
- Fixed: http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11177, some formselector specifications for popups were too vague. [smcmahon]
- Fixed: http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11187, Better message when you cannot delete a locked item [kiorky]