Calibre is a program to manage your eBook collection. It acts as an e-library and also allows for format conversion, news feeds to eBook conversion, as well as e-book reader sync features and an integrated e-book viewer. It features library management, format conversion (all major eBook formats), syncing to e-book reader devices, fetching news from the Web and converting it into eBook form, viewing many different e-book formats, and giving you access to your book collection over the internet using just a browser.
What is new in this release:
- Copy to library: Add an action to show a dialog that allows for easy selection of libraries for copy/move. Useful when there are a large number of libraries to choose from.
- Server: Allow deleting a downloaded book from the "Browse all downloaded books" screen
- Hopefully fix an issue with the book list jumping around when using the mouse on some computers
- E-book viewer: Change the default fonts on windows to the Liberation font family. This matches the other platforms and avoids rendering issues with Times New Roman.
- DOCX Output: Convert images placed by themselves inside block tags as block images rather than inline images.
- Fix a typo that broke the download of a few news sources
- ebook-viewer.exe: Fix --continue-reading not working
- Fix non XML safe characters in feed descriptions causing news download to fail.
- Browser viewer: Fix books that contain broken links with unicode characters in their paths not working.
- Quickview: Fix regression in previous release that broke the 'Lock quickview' control
What is new in version 3.3.0:
- Quickview panel: Allow opening and closing the panel via the Layout button in the bottom right corner.
- Book details panel: Allow right clicking on author names to search for books by the author on Amazon.
- Edit book: When doing a Replace/Count all with multiple searches add a 'Show details' button on the result dialog that shows the individual counts for each search.
- Comments editor: Add a button to easily insert separators (i.e. <hr> tags) when editing comments
- Browser viewer: Fix back/forward buttons not working correctly when clicking on links that lead to different internal files in the book.
- Server: Fix using 'Show more books' button and then changing list mode setting causing resulting book list to be incomplete
- Server: Fix changing sort/search in the /mobile view only working with the default library.
- DOCX Input: Fix alt and title attributes for some images not being preserved
- Amazon metadata download: Change the default source from Bing to Google as the Bing cache seems to be having trouble at the moment
- ISBNDB metadata download: Ignore SSL errors when contacting isbndb.com as they seem to have no intention of fixing their broken SSL certificate
- Conversion: Fix heuristics processing incorrectly removing some <br> tags.
- Handle non-ASCII binary strings in the author_name_prefix/suffix tweaks.
Improved news sources:
- The Times
- The Sunday Times Magazine
What is new in version 3.0:
- A completely re-written Content server with support for reading books in-browser on your phone/tablet. Also works in offline mode.
- Support for High Resolution (Retina) screens
- Support for icon themes and a new default icon set
- Conversion to Microsoft Word (DOCX)
- Backwards incompatibilities
- RussiaFeed by Darko Miletic
- Kobo driver: Fix for detection of some devices, with SD card not working on macOS
- Tag browser: Fix preservation of state when recounting and the visible categories have changed.
- CHM Input: Handle CHM files that have missing or empty root files.
- Fix Page flips options box in viewer preferences bot being laid out properly
- Fix initial down arrow in search box jumping two places
- Fix editing the authors via the book list not respecting the tweak to control author name splitting
- E-book viewer: Fix external links not working in the footnote popup panel
- Fix a regression that broke command line completion in bash
- Improved news sources
What is new in version 2.9:
- E-book viewer: Show footnotes in a separate popup window
Now when you click on a link to a footnote/endnote, the corresponding note is shown in a separate popup window, for convenient reference. Footnote links are recognized using the EPUB 3 footnote markup as well as some heuristics. Any superscript or subscript links are assumed to be footnote links. Any link that links to another file which in turn links back to the original link, is assumed to be an endnote.
- Cover Grid: Improve scroll wheel based scrolling.
On windows and linux a single "tick" of the wheel now scrolls by about half a row instead of a full screen. On OS X, scrolling is pixel based, so as you scroll faster, more content is scrolled.
- Get Books: Add the Bubok Portugal store
- Performance improvement for large libraries that using custom columns built with templates
- Review downloaded metadata dialog: Allow merging tags by long clicking the revert button
- Fix a regression in 2.8 that caused the clear button next to date fields to set the date to Jan 101 instead of undefined.
- Linux: Fix Unity global menu bar stops working after minimizing calibre to the dock or the system tray.
- Sanitize the ImageMagick environment variables before launching external utilities.
- Prevent stale 'On Device' info (from the previous connection) from showing during subsequent device connections
- Conversion: Add workaround for converting EPUB files with syntactically invalid (probably hand edited) OPF files.
- Fix e-book viewer not displaying cover from HTMLZ files.
- Conversion: Handle input documents with crazy font sizes (1000pt +)
Improved news sources
- Boston Globe
- Brand Eins
What is new in version 2.8:
- Linux: Add support for the global menubar in Ubuntu Unity (The menu that is displayed in the top most on screen bar). It now works both with the main calibre program and the e-book editor. You can customize what appears in the menubar via Preferences->Toolbars
- Get Books: Add a new store, Bubok (bubok.es)
- Driver for Tolino Vision 2.
- Review downloaded metadata: Allow merging downloaded and current identifiers by long-clicking the revert button.
- Template language: New function user_categories() to return the list of User Categories for a given book (only works in the GUI).
- E-book viewer: Add an option to prevent tapping on the page from turning pages.
- Re-enable the system tray icon on linux. System tray icons now work in any desktop environment that supports the StatusNotifier spec, such as Ubuntu Unity, KDE 4+, GNOME 3, etc.
- System tray icon: On windows if the calibre window is minimized, fix clicking on the system tray icon not restoring the window.
- E-book viewer: Clear history when reloading the book, to avoid errors, since the locations pointed to by the history may no longer be valid anyway
- Linux: Force use of GNOME button layout for dialogs when running under the GNOME, UNITY or MATE desktop environments
- Check Book: Silence incorrect warning about guide references to cover image in AZW3 Format
- Fix text entry widgets' popup completion window not working well with windows on-screen keyboard.
- Edit Book: Fix links that are absolute paths causing crashes in windows
- Fix the read metadata from format button in the edit metadata dialog not working for FB2 files.
New news sources
- Planet Python and Krebs on security recipe by Jelle van der Waa
Improved news sources
- FAZ net
- The New Yorker