The Winstep Nexus Dock is a free Windows dock application that provides fast access to your most frequently used applications, with flexible options allowing it to dock or float anywhere on the screen. Every feature you would expect from a dock and then more, including widgets, many different mouse-over effects, skins, drag-and-drop, ability to display running applications and the system tray, Windows 7 "superbar" ability with Aeropeek, live icon reflections and support for Windows Aero Glass effects.
What is new in this release:
- Maximum icon size has been changed from 255 to 256x256 pixels.
- Changes to the User Interface colors made in the About tab of Preferences can now be canceled.
- Using the Language Bar IC to change the locale of another window now also gives focus to the window.
- Added new optional 'Slide' animation to the User Interface. Can be toggled in the More Options dialog of the General tab in Preferences.
- Added alternate User Interface modes to better blend with Windows 10: Dark Mode (Black), Dark Mode (Gray) and a bonus Winstep theme. Mode can be changed in the More Options dialog of the General tab in Preferences.
- Added new white default icons to be used in Windows 10 for the Search, Windows Start Menu, Action Center and Task View internal commands.
- The Balloon tooltip now displays thumbnails of animated icon PNG strips as the first frame of the animation.
- If the Alarm is set to, say, fire on the 31st of every month, it will now skip over the months that don't have 31 days, instead of deactivating itself
- The new drag & drop background file copy operation would fail if one of the files had a comma in the filename.
- Fixed issue where the Recycle Bin image might not update after deleting several files on non-English versions of Windows.
- Fixed potential issues displaying the systray icons if the Windows systray was not accessible at startup.
- Fixed issue where audio might not stop playing after exiting the application.
- Modules/widgets on secondary monitors stopped updating when a full screen application was open. Although this was deliberate in order to use as little CPU as possible when a game is running, it should not happen if the module is on a monitor other than the one where the full screen application is running.
- Couple of User Interface images inside WsUIImageRes.DLL were accidentaly added with an opaque background.
- Under Windows 10 the Language Bar IC failed to change the current keyboard layout.
- Fixed issue that could cause a live preview thumbnail from a running application to flicker even when nothing apparently changed.
- Fixed animation issue in the Module preview tab with customized Email Checker animations.
- Light bulb image on the Tips of the Day dialog did not have a transparent background.
- The Monthly implementation of the Alarms was broken and often failed to correctly set the next activation date.
What is new in version 17.12:
- Many improvements and fixes for Windows 10 users.
- New Apps Shelf tab (Windows 10 and Nexus Ultimate).
- Most-Used Shelf type now also displays Universal Apps (Windows 10 and Nexus Ultimate).
- Fixed freeze after Sleep in Surface Pro laptops.
- Speed copy.
- Launch multiple instances from list of running applications.
- New Alarm Manager and Hide All/Hide Dock internal commands.
- New Capture Desktop settings.
- Fixed Email Checker module problem accessing AT&T email accounts.
- Added missing ex-Yugoslavia countries to the weather codes database.
- Control media players via Media internal commands or Media menu.
- Window preview thumbnails, document preview thumbnails in menus and image thumbnails in balloon tooltips now scale according to screen DPI.
- Docks reserving screen space and respecting reserved screen space no longer overlap when docked perpendicular to each other (Nexus Ultimate).
- Fixed issue where the available screen space would be resized twice if items were added to or removed from a dock and the dock was being forced to automatically reduce icon size in order to fit on the screen.
- Many other performance and stability improvements!
What is new in version 17.1:
- Replaced the Female and Male Clock and Email Checker Voices with new higher quality versions.
- Added new 'Activate if hidden when an application in the dock requests attention' setting to the Activation Settings dialog of the dock's Behavior tab. Enabled by default, this setting controls whether the dock should pop up if hidden when an application with an icon in the dock starts flashing to get your attention.
- The Email Checker module is now able to use speech to report more than 59 new messages (up to 1 million).
- The Email Checker module now displays the number of new messages in the icon itself by default. This can be prevented by disabling the 'Show number of messages in the icon' setting in the Email Checker Settings dialog.
- The Email Checker now checks for new mail immediately after changing settings in the Email Checker Settings dialog, unless automatic checking has been disabled.
What is new in version 16.9:
- Updated Brazilian language file.
- Added a 'View Change Log' button to the Version Information dialog (which opens when you click the version number in the top right corner of the About tab in Preferences). Clicking the button opens another dialog which interfaces with the history files and makes it easier to see the additions and bug fixes in each release.
- Added a 'Check Internet Connection' button to the Troubleshooting dialog in Preferences, to help diagnose Internet communication problems.
- After more than a decade, NOAA discontinued the web site from where METAR information was retrieved. Updated URLs and parsing code so METAR information is now successfuly retrieved from www.aviationweather.gov.
- Some applications (such as Firefox or UWP apps) were wrongly being identified as full screen when maximized on monitors without a taskbar or with a auto-hide taskbar. This caused screen edge bumps, etc, to be temporarily ignored (edge bumps are disabled so they do not activate accidentally when the user is playing a full screen game, for instance).
- Fixed a couple of instances where the CD Control icon or drive icons in a Drives tab of the Shelf might not be properly updated after a media or drive change.
- The 'Hide for maximized applications' setting was also triggering the dock to hide if you clicked on the Desktop.
- Changes to the default Weather feed source URLs were not being applied until weather cache information became stale.
- The Email Checker failed on IMAP servers that sent a CAPABILITY response just after login or didn't add OK to the STATUS command response.
What is new in version 16.5:
Version 16.5 includes the following enhancements:
- New colorization options.
- Faster and more convenient access to colorization options.
- Wallpaper hot-track now works with Windows 7 slideshow mode.
- New 'Auto Backup Settings' internal command.
- 3D dock backgrounds no longer get distorted at certain icon sizes.
- Capture Desktop screenshot tool can now save screenshots in PNG format.
- Many other performance and stability improvements!
What is new in version 16.3:
Version 16.3 includes the following enhancements:
- Performance and stability improvements.
What is new in version 16.2:
Version 16.2 includes the following enhancements:
- Windows can now be minimized to the dock.
- New effects panel to help visualize, select and configure all available mouse-over, launch and attention effects.
- New 'Shake' and 'Fade in' effects. Previously existing Flash and Jump effects can now be used as launch, mouse-over and attention effects.
- New clock module associated alarm to display pop-up reminders, wake you up with music or run programs at specific times, once or periodically.
- New 'CD Control' internal command displays type of media inserted in the drive and provides eject and load media functions.
- New 'Lookup IP Address' internal command returns public IP address, location and latitude/longitude coordinates.
- Dramatically improved the smoothness of the dock for size and position changes, inserting items into the dock and when changing icons.
- Major performance improvements with new options added to the Performance Settings dialog.
- Vastly improved the Weather module's location detection based on user's current IP address.
- Weather information is now immediately updated after returning from Sleep or Hibernation.
- Weather module now uses the sunrise and sunset times provided by the weather feed to know when to display a Sun or a Moon icon.
- Running applications on the left side of the dock now display number of open instances.
- Left clicking the dock's control icon now opens Nexus Preferences.
- Major re-organization of the User Interface.
- Improved high-DPI support.
- The Winstep Update Manager can now hide specific updates.
- Many other performance and stability improvements.
What is new in version 15.7:
Version 15.7 includes the following enhancements:
- Full compatibility with Windows 10.
- New 'Task View' internal command to invoke Windows 10 Virtual Desktop Manager.
- Always on Bottom docks no longer pop up on mouseover.
- Size of running application thumbnails can now range up to 512x512 pixels.
- Many other misc.improvements and bug fixes.
What is new in version 14.11:
Version 14.11 includes the following enhancements:
- New Internal Commands.
- New Pin to dock context menu option..
- Improved Windows 8.x support.
- Updated weather widget feeds.
- Misc.bug fixes.