In today's world, everything is digital. From shopping receipts to important research papers, your life often fills your hard drive in the form of emails, PDFs, Word documents, multimedia files and more. Questions eventually pop up, like where do you store all of this stuff? How do you organize these very different file types, and even better, how do you find the exact file you're looking for the second you need it? It's almost as if you need a second brain just to keep your digital life straight.
DEVONthink is the solution to the digital age conundrum. It is your second brain, the one and only database for all your digital files, be they PDFs, emails, Word docs or even multimedia files. Boasting a refined artificial intelligence, DEVONthink is exceedingly flexible and adapts to your personal needs. And if the files are not digital yet, digitize them with DEVONthink Pro Office.
Use it as your document repository, your filing cabinet, your email archive, or your project organizer; DEVONthink can do it all. You can even collect and organize data from the web for your own use, enrich it with sound and movie files from your hard drive, and then export the finished product as a website or to an Apple Pages document to print, should you so desire. Or copy the content to your iPod! The possibilities are only as limited as your imagination.
DEVONthink Professional Office extends DEVONthink Pro with three additional modules: Pro-grade email archiving, paper capture including optical character recognition, and integrated web sharing (search only.)
What is new in this release:
- Importing and indexing support folder tags. Tags of groups are exported and tags of indexed groups are immediately applied.
- Images can be dropped into formatted notes too.
- Document windows support fullscreen window mode (OS X El Capitan or later).
- Optional "reveal" parameter of x-devonthink-item links can be used to reveal groups.
- Take Note panel restores unsaved contents after closing or quitting.
- Web sharing only asks for passwords and refreshes content when needed; it also handles errors better.
- Pressing the ?Option modifier key changes the Select font buttons to Reset (see Preferences > General and Preferences > Web) to easily restore the default fonts.
- Sharing extension is more compatible, e.g. to Tinderbox 6.4.
- Captured images, links, bookmarks, or notes are named smarter.
- Rebuilding retains addition date.
- Tools > Verify & Repair checks external files in the background.
- Scripts > Export > Daily Backup Archive uses a different date format.
- Scripts > Reminders > Add as To Do to OmniFocus shows a better error message in case OmniFocus Pro is not available.
- Templates updated.
- AppleScript support.
- Data > Merge logs skipped records.
- File permissions of temporary files are corrected after importing.
- Error message in case of unmounted volumes is clearer.
- Documentation added for item links.
- Installation of Firefox extension opens Mozilla Add-Ons page in Firefox.
- Overall reliability and performance.
- Issue where copying selected rows of table views failed on OS X El Capitan.
- Issue where tags entered into the Tags bar weren't always saved.
- Issue with Format > Show Invisible Characters being incompatible to rich text documents containing tables.
- Issue where the entered name was ignored when adding one file via Add to DEVONthink Pro Office service.
- Issue with PDF highlight annotations in case of rotated pages (workaround for issue in OS X).
- Issues with PDF line annotations (workaround for issues in OS X El Capitan).
- Issue with reverting documents.
- Issue with text templates containing date placeholders in the title failing depending on the system date format.
- Issue where the width of the Activity panel couldn't be increased.
- Issue where changing the column font didn't update visible windows.
- Issues with the automatic hiding of the Sorter on OS X El Capitan.
- Issue that allowed creation of smart groups with invalid parameters.
- Issue where scanning as image didn't use the correct file type.
- Issue that could slow down or freeze the application when reading damaged .DS_Store files.
- Vulnerability in Sparkle framework (used for downloading and installing updates).
- Further minor bugs and glitches.
- OpenMeta is no longer used on OS X Yosemite or later.
What is new in version 2.8.8:
- Better Tinderbox integration. Multiple copied notes can now be pasted to DEVONthink Pro Office including backlinks and tags; DEVONthink Pro Office creates plain or rich notes depending on the pasted contents. Requires Tinderbox 6.3.2 or later.
- Copied or dragged selections of PDF documents include images on OS X El Capitan or later. Converting PDF documents to rich texts retains images too.
- Updated web interface allows Firefox to display PDF documents rather than just Safari.
- Offline archives created with the Download Manager are used for bookmarks or opening links in tabs if there's no internet connection. In addition, offline archives in all currently opened databases are now used.
- Creating a new group adds the group immediately to the recent destinations.
- File > Import > Contacts reuses already created groups.
- The panel for creating or editing sheets now supports multiple selections as well as Edit > Select All and Edit > Deselect All.
- Activity panel.
- Adding the global inbox to the Finder sidebar is faster and more reliable.
- VoiceOver support.
- Overall reliability and performance.
Fixed (OS X El Capitan)
- Issue with dragging multiple email messages to the Sorter.
- Issue with unrealiable installation of Clip to DEVONthink.
- Issue where Clip to DEVONthink couldn't always capture paginated PDF documents on OS X Yosemite and El Capitan.
- Issue with deadlocks caused by PDF sidebar.
- Issue where footers and headers were flipped when printing web views.
- Crash of Sorter after deleting a group that has been already deleted in DEVONthink Pro Office.
- Crash when closing DEVONthink Pro Office after scanning.
- Glitches of panel to create sheets or to edit columns of existing sheets.
- Issue of File > Import > From Scanner or Camera where it couldn't find the scanner's functional unit, i.e. flatbed, sheet feeder.
- Issues where the destination property was ignored when creating a document using File > Import > From Scanner or Camera.
- Issue where printed PDF documents weren't automatically rotated.
- Issue where smart groups named without alpha-numeric characters couldn't be created.
- Issue where corrupted or not supported EXIF comments could bloat the index.
- Issue where window titles weren't updated after renaming a database via sync or AppleScript.
- Issue where an internal calculation could freeze DEVONthink Pro Office for some time in case of documents with thousands of pages.
- Issue where inserting an image into an RTF document right after another attachment duplicated the first attachment instead of inserting the new one.
- Issue that created unnecessary Console messages.
- Minor bugs and glitches.
What is new in version 2.8.6:
Changes for OS X El Capitan (public beta)
- Minor bugfixes for issues with OS X El Capitan.
- Improved reliability of backgroung task, especially on OS X El Capitan.
- Support added for Markdown images referenced via cross-links.
- "File > Import > References from Bookends" converts the keywords of the references to RTF properties. If needed the keywords can be converted to tags on demand using the optional script "Scripts > Tags > Convert keywords to tags".
- Alternate menu item "Edit > Copy Page Link" added.
- Name of the top group can now be used via a placeholder in templates.
- PDF text annotations keep their appearance as long as they're not edited by DEVONthink.
- Borders and background color are supported again by PDF text annotations.
- Dragging events from Calendar into rich text documents inserts back links (requires OS X Yosemite or later). Reminder: It's already possible to insert file links or addressbook links by dragging with ?Command and ?Option held.
- Better HTML-to-text conversion, e.g. used by "Data > Convert" and by indexing.
- "Scripts > Execute" now also executes a selected item without a preview pane.
- Enhanced drag-and-drop support.
- Items created via "Data > New from Template" can usually be renamed immediately.
- Creating databases in iCloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, or Google Drive folders or inside other databases is no longer possible.
- Exporting items or templates into databases is no longer possible.
- Renamed "Set Title As" to "Set Name As" for consistency.
- Further minor user interface enhancements.
- Title of PDF documents displayed live in web views is now used if available.
- Moving groups to external folders retains the creation date of the created folder.
- Simple templates honour the option "Preferences > Import > Titles > Filename with extension".
- Better naming of duplicated documents with a file name extension in their name.
- Installed add-ons are automatically updated after launching a new version; the "Install Add-Ons" panel does not appear in this case.
- License file moved to Application Support to avoid conflicts with preferences cleaners.
- Downloads queue moved to Application Support.
- French and German localization.
- Memory management.
- Overall performance and reliability.
- "Open Externally" toolbar item was enabled if the default application is the Archive Utility.
- Highlighting multiple lines in PDF documents sometimes removed existing highlighting.
- Rare sync issues.
- Sorter issues and crashes.
- Scanner issue related to updating the destination of multiple items.
- PDFs attached to RTFs were shown on OS X Yosemite even if the option "Display PDF attachments of Rich Texts" was disabled.
- Beep removed after trying to export an image via "File > Export > Document".
- Groups could be moved into themselves via the Sorter or via AppleScript.
- Updating indexed HTML pages or web archives didn't retain the indexed metadata.
- Exporting as website didn't always create the required CSS file.
- OCR could fail in case of moved user directories.
- HTML parser could crash DEVONthink Pro Office in case of invalid HTML code.
- Firefox add-on didn't encode URLs with parameters.
- RTFDs exported as website or delivered via webserver were sometimes incorrectly escaped.
- Changing the system appearance could crash the application.
- Further minor bugs and glitches.
What is new in version 2.8.4:
- Adds the ability to import files and folders from the Finder into the database and move the originals to the trash by holding the ?Command key while dragging.
- Adds new date-related smart group conditions.
- Adds full suport for ".webhistory" and ".webbookmark" bookmark files.
- Adds ".asciidoc" to the list of known plain text extensions.
- Adds "export website" and "reformat" AppleScript commands.
- Adds the alternate menu item Help > Report Bug (press the ?Option key to show).
- Improves the compatibility to OS X Yosemite 10.10.2.
- Displays the number of total and finished items to the Activity panel.
- Retains the tags of documents when splitting them. All parts are now correctly put into the same groups as the original document.
- Creates only one highlight, underline, or strike-through PDF annotation in case of more than one selected line.
- Improves the conversion of HTML pages to plain text.
- Tools > Verify & Repair checks also the unique identifier (UUID) of databases and repairs it if necessary.
- Makes "lproj" subfolders optional for .dtTemplate packages. Creating non-localized templates is now as simple as creating a new folder in the Finder and adding ".dtTemplate" to its name.
- Improves the way the Download Manager sets Finder comments.
- Makes many AppleScript database queries up to 50 times faster, processing lots of results of such queries is now even faster.
- Adds Retina splash screens.
- Improves the look of the Scripts menu icon on OS X Yosemite.
- Updates the look of the in-app help to OS X Yosemite. Newer images are optimized for Retina displays.
- Improves the French localization.
- Improves the overall performance and reliability.
- Addresses graphical glitches of QuickLook-based views on OS X Yosemite by working around them.
- Fixes glitches of the group selector and the Groups & Tags panel on OS X Yosemite depending on System Preferences > Accessibility > Display.
- Fixes an issue with OCR creating large documents on OS X Yosemite because the JFIF resolution of JPEG scans created by OS X is currently invalid.
- Fixes page up/down keyboard handling of PDF views on OS X Yosemite.
- Fixes an issue where databases were sometimes not reopened on OS X Yosemite after launching the application.
- Improves the memory management to work around issues of OS X.
- Updates sync with minor cosmetic changes and fixes for threading issues while quitting.
- Updates the Sorter fixing two rare issues.
- Prevents files from inside the database package from being imported or indexed.
- Fixes an issue where smart groups in index pages created by the website export were not clickable.
- Resolves an issue where the PubMed smart template failed in case of only one result.
- Fixes the OPML import.
- Addresses further minor glitches.
- Removes View > Sort > Ignore Umlauts. Sorting uses now system-wide settings.
200 e-mail messages, 20 scans daily