Scrivener is a project management and writing tool for writers of all kinds that stays with you from that first, unformed idea all the way through to the first - or even final - draft. Outline and structure your ideas; take notes; storyboard your masterpiece using a powerful virtual corkboard; view research while you write; track themes using keywords; dynamically combine multiple scenes into a single text. Scrivener has already been enthusiastically adopted by best-selling novelists and novices alike. Outline. Edit. Storyboard. Write.
What is new in this release:
- Fixed bug whereby .svg files would not be output for MultiMarkdown → HTML, only for other MultiMarkdown outputs.
- Fixed bug whereby certain images could cause a hang when loading text (if the images were embedded in an object inside the RTF).
- Fixed bug whereby images at the top of a section could cause page breaks not to be inserted properly during Compile.
- Worked around Apple bug exacerbated by El Capitan whereby certain fonts would cause the line spacing in comments and footnotes to change when edited, which meant that in some circumstances the last line of a comment wasn't visible unless being edited.
- Scrivener no longer tries to restore full screen mode on relaunching, to avoid a crashing issue that was introduced in an El Capitan update and is affecting some users.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes.
What is new in version 2.7.0:
- Fixed bug whereby adding new items to the formatting levels in Compile could cause a hang.
- Fixed bug that could cause an error to get thrown in scrivenings mode when changing certain settings.
- Fixed bug whereby importing some web pages could cause a crash owing to a bug in WebKit.
- Hopefully worked around an OS X bug whereby typing could slow to a crawl after Ctrl-clicking into the text when using certain combinations of preferences.
- Fixed bug that could cause a hang when syncing to an external folder using Fountain format if inline footnotes or annotations contained bold or italics.
- Fixed bug whereby word counts in outliner, project targets and project statistics could suddenly decrease erroneously if a project had been open for a few days.
- Fixed bug whereby "Flatten footnotes" would not trigger the correct "Footnotes & Comments" pane in Compile when compiling to Word and OpenOffice.
- Fixed bug whereby the "Style" element was getting written out unnecessarily to FDX files, causing all-caps elements not to use all-caps when edited.
- Fixed bug in Fountain export whereby project variables were not replaced in title page meta-data.
- Fixed bug whereby Find wouldn't cycle back to the top of the editor if the comments pane of the Inspector was open with no comments in it.
- Fixed bug whereby, when exporting to external drives, PDF files may not include meta-data or outlines.
- Fixed bug whereby RTF formatting could have problems when using a combination of Keep with Next and non-default font kerning.
- Fixed bug whereby the Find panel settings would be reset each time it was opened if another project was open in the background with search active.
- Fixed bug whereby cells in the project keywords panel would become Vibrant while expanding cells.
- Fixed bug whereby the snapshots list might not be updated in the Inspector UI when merging documents.
- Fixed minor bug whereby corkboard texture would jitter when scrolling on and Yosemite and above.
- Fixed bug on Yosemite whereby after hitting return to complete a script element, the auto-complete list may pop-up showing suggestions for words to start the sentence.
- Hopefully worked around an OS X Retina display bug which would cause the text to become too wide for the view when the window or split view was resized. (Apple bug #13418758; thanks to Daniel Jalkut of MarsEdit for the workaround.)
What is new in version 2.6.0:
- Various UI tweaks and fixes for Yosemite compatibility.
- Clicking the green traffic light full-screen button on Yosemite enters full screen mode; Opt-clicking it uses the pre-10.10 behaviour of fitting the window to its content.
- Added option to Import/Export Preferences to determine whether Scrivener should use the bundled version of Java or the one installed on the system for converting Word and OpenOffice documents (to work around rare Java-based issues).
- Root folders (Draft, Research and Trash) are no longer ever returned in search results (which could result in odd behaviour).
- URLs dragged and dropped into the binder now use the file name for the linked text rather than the file URL.
- Yosemite: Fixed bug whereby Scrivener would crash if smart quotes or spelling correction were triggered in scrivenings mode.
- Yosemite: Fixed bug whereby entering a target into the Project Targets panel could cause a crash.
- Fixed bug that could cause a hang and crash when editing scaled comments.
- Fixed bug whereby changes triggered by "Append Synopses to Main Text" did not get saved.
- Fixed bug whereby edits to project notes wouldn't be saved if they were edited in the Composition mode inspector.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when using search RegEx terms if the content being searched was empty.
- Hopefully fixed a bug that could cause an internal error to be thrown during save if the internal data store of the outliner was called upon while being released from memory.
- Fixed bug whereby the wrong footer could be used in front matter when exporting to RTF if "No header on first page and pages following page breaks" was ticked in Compile.
- Hopefully fixed bug whereby spell-checking would not work if the editor was loaded in page view mode when the project was opened.
- Fixed bug that could cause project word count to be reported wrong in the project targets panel if the project had been open a few days.
- Fixed bugs affecting "Exclude from Automatic Backups" (the tick mark was never shown in 2.5, and if "Exclude..." had been turned on for a project prior to 2.5, there was no way to turn it off again in 2.5 without manually editing the project's internal ui.plist file).
- Fixed a bug whereby an inspector comment at the end of a section could cause separating whitespace to be omitted.
- Fixed bug whereby tables did not get converted to images properly when compiling to e-book formats on Retina displays.
- Fixed bug whereby .links files would not be deleted from the project package when non-text documents were deleted.
- Fixed bug whereby the "System Text Preferences..." button in the "Corrections" pane of the Preferences did not open the correct pane of the System Preferences on Mavericks because of changes in 10.9 and above.
- Fixed bug whereby script formatting CSS could be wrong when exported to e-book formats if two script elements shared the same paragraph formatting when tabs weren't taken into consideration.
- Fixed bug whereby Move Right could be used to move non-text documents into the Draft.
- Fixed a bug whereby search results collections wouldn't always filter properly in Compile.
- Fixed bug whereby resampling images for e-book export would cause the images to lose their alignment and other formatting.
- Fixed bug whereby monospace fonts wouldn't be output in Kindle files for text using the standard font size of the document.
- Fixed bug whereby
wasn't terminated in compiled HTML documents with centred contents.
- Fixed bug whether delimiters for auto-complete in scriptwriting would cause text to get added to the auto-complete list up to the final delimiter in the line rather than the first one.
- Fixed bug whereby Go To > Editor Selection wouldn't work with non-text items.
- Fixed bug whereby Import and Split wouldn't work correctly on FDX files in languages other than English.
- Changed the way margins are written out in CSS for the .epub format to work around a rendering bug on some recent Nook devices.
- Fixed bug whereby changing paragraph formatting of the default screenplay settings might not cause text to be updated when asked to convert.
- When exporting to .epub, if the option to include an Adobe Digital Editions page template is ticked, all span elements containing tab characters are removed from the HTML because these elements cause rendering issues in ADE-based e-readers.
- Fixed Compile bug whereby comments and footnotes associated with struck-through text would not be deleted when struck-through text was set to be deleted, which could lead to clashes between comments and some appearing in the wrong place in the compiled document.
- Fixed bug whereby drags from snapshots to the editor header wouldn't work when the inspector was in the full screen slide-in panel.
- Hopefully fixed a minor bug that could cause scrolling to the top of scrivenings not to work properly when using the binder to navigate a locked editor.
- Fixed bug in tabs and indents panel whereby the tabs and indents wouldn't get applied to empty paragraphs and would not work in an empty document.
- Fixed bug whereby increase/decrease indent functions would not work on an empty line at the end of the text.
- Fixed bug whereby RTF bookmarks would not work if the first item in the section was an image.
- Fixed bug whereby add comment and footnote buttons in the Inspector were disabled in page view when the selection was not in the first page.