When you need a clear understanding of how tasks, activities, and processes are carried out, OmniGraffle can help you produce amazing-looking diagrams that communicate information far better than words - and if you're just looking to make a poster for your Sunday garage sale, it's perfect for that too. Diagrams are basic to the way people think, and we create them all the time without even realizing it. Whatever your profession or interests, chances are you've occasionally sketched out some ideas on a piece of graph paper or the back of a napkin. OmniGraffle is the tool to help you organize your thoughts visually, document them beautifully, and communicate them to the world. More than just a silly name, OmniGraffle is a powerful, yet easy to use diagramming and drawing tool. OmniGraffle can help you make amazing graphic documents quickly by keeping lines connected to shapes even when they're moved, providing stencils full of common symbols for you to drag and drop, and magically organizing diagrams with just one click. Create flow charts, org charts, network diagrams, family trees, project processes, office layouts - or anything else that can be represented by symbols and lines.
What is new in this release:
- OmniOutliner Import -- Fixed a bug that caused OmniOutliner 5 imports to fail for some users.
- AppleScript -- Fixed a bug that prevented AppleScript from accessing the frontmost window.
- AppleScript -- Fixed a bug that caused an "AppleEvent handler failed" error when trying to get the current window selection.
- Style Tray -- Fixed a bug causing the Style Tray to not reflect the current selection when the tray is in the toolbar. The Style Tray also wasn't staying in the toolbar after restarting the app, that's fixed too.
- Size Uses Printer Pages -- Fixed a bug that caused the "Size uses printer pages" checkbox to uncheck when the canvas size changed.
What is new in version 7.3:
- Presenting with Artboards — Added support for presenting artboards in Presentation Mode.
- Zoom Controls when Presenting — Added the ability to zoom and pan in Presentation Mode.
- Presentation Mode Sidebar — Added a sidebar that lists canvases and artboards.
- OmniOutliner Import — Added support for OmniOutliner 5’s
- Split Screen — OmniGraffle windows can now share full screen mode with another application using Apple’s Split Screen functionality. You can even have two OmniGraffle windows sharing the same full-screen Space.
- Inspectors — Did you know you can grab individual inspectors and rearrange them? OmniGraffle 7.3 adds grab handle indicators on inspectors to make that more clear.
- Adjustable Shapes — Adjustable shape handles would often be confused with Bezier points and get stuck under resize handles. Now the adjustable shape handles have a different look and get preference when they overlap resize handles.
- Inspecting Locked Objects — Inspector fields now show values for locked objects but prevent editing until the object is unlocked.
- Aligning to Locked Objects — Now you can align unlocked objects to locked objects with the Alignment tools.
- Group Alignment — Fixed a bug causing alignment buttons to be unavailable when one item in the selection was a group.
- Performance — Fixed a memory leak that was causing poor performance on files that were open for a long period of time.
- Performance — Opening and closing the sidebar and inspectors is much smoother now.
- Text Label Performance — Typing in a text label field is no longer excruciatingly slow. The rendering dirt has been cleaned up too.
- Windows and Full Screen — Occasionally when moving documents between two different sized displays or re-opening a document on a different size display the application window wouldn’t adapt correctly. This would also occasionally occur with Full Screen mode when switching displays.
- Auto Layout — Fixed an issue with undoing Auto Layout that would sometimes cause object ID collisions.
- Text Tool — Fixed a bug causing the Text Tool to always be active when selected instead of using the “Keep tool active” Drawing Preference.
- Lines with Labels — Duplicate now includes a line’s label when the line is duplicated.
- Tooltips — Fixed a bug that caused incorrect tooltips for inspector controls.
- Hot Keys — Fixed a bug that caused the Tool Hot Keys to not appear in the Drawing Tools preference pane.
- Rendering — Cleaned up some gray highlight artifacts that would sometimes persist after selecting and moving objects.
- Subgraphs — Fixed a rendering issue with the Outline sidebar tab when editing the contents of a subgraph.
- Stability — Fixed a crash caused by switching from the Selection sidebar tab to the Layers sidebar tab with text selected on the canvas.
- Stability — Fixed a crash that would sometime occur when switching between or closing document windows.
What is new in version 7.2.2:
- SVG Import -- Added preliminary support for importing text. SVG text attributes are imported as text objects now, though font and formatting specifications aren't supported yet.
- Export Settings -- Export Settings, including custom export sizes, are now saved as part of the document so they are available each time you export and on any of your computers. Bonus: You can set up templates with your common export settings and they'll be pre-filled when you're ready to export.
What is new in version 7.2:
- Color Profiles -- sRGB is now the default color profile in OmniGraffle for Mac; this matches OmniGraffle for iOS, Apple's system default, and the industry standard. The generic RGB profile has been deprecated and colors that are defined in the generic RGB colorspace will be converted to sRGB automatically when the document is opened by modifying the RGB color values so the displayed color remains consistent.
- Touch Bar -- OmniGraffle now supports Apple's new Touch Bar. Many powerful OmniGraffle tools and controls are at your fingertips just above the keyboard.
- Additional SVG support -- Added support for fill gradients. SVG supports more granularity than OmniGraffle does, but we convert to OmniGraffle gradients as best we can.
- New Layer from Selection -- Fixed a bug where New Layer from Selection was reversing the order of objects.
- Text to Shape -- Fixed a bug where placeholder characters were left in the group when ligatures were combined to a single shape.
- Stability -- Fixed many of the crashes that you've reported. Thanks for sending them in.
What is new in version 6.6.1:
- PDF Export crash on macOS Sierra -- Fixes a crash when exporting a PDF on macOS Sierra.
- Closing window on macOS Sierra -- Fixes a crash when closing a window on macOS Sierra.
- Localizations -- Updated help documentation localizations.
What is new in version 6.6:
- Ruler Context Menu — You can now right-click (or control-click) on the canvas rulers to quickly hide and show guides, change canvas units, and hide the rulers themselves.
- News — News from the Omni Group will now show up in the app. This feature will only be used to alert you of critical issues like OS updates that might break compatibility and announcing major new versions of OmniGraffle.
- 75% Zoom — Added 75% to the list of built-in zoom settings.
- Enforce Canvas Scale — The “Auto-convert scaled objects” canvas option is now called “Enforce Canvas Scale” to be more clear.
- Documentation — Updated and localized OmniGraffle 6 documentation and Welcome document.
- Unit Menu — Grouped units in the Unit menu to make them easier to find.
- Editing Layer Names — Clicking the layer lock icon now saves in-progress layer name edits.
- Diagram Tool — Adding a new shape with the Diagram tool while zoomed places the new shape where you clicked instead of the canvas origin point.
- Keyboard Shortcuts — The appropriate inspectors now become active when using keyboard shortcuts to switch tools.
- Shape Connections — Fixed an issue where lines with both end points connected to a single Bezier shape would sometimes partially disappear.
- Crash Fix — Fixed a crash that would occasionally occur when saving, or choosing not to save, a new Stencil or Template.
- Crash Fix — Fixed an occasional crash that would occur when opening a template.
- Crash Fix — Fixed a crash that could occur when multiple open dialogs for setting a background image on a shape were open at the same time. Now only one open dialog for setting shape background is allowed at a time.
What is new in version 6.5.3:
- Localizations — Updated our localizations to keep up with our recent work.
- Bezier Handles — Fixed an issue where the bezier handles of a line weren’t restored when changing the line type then undoing the change.
- Backwards Compatibility — Fixed an issue where objects from a file created in OmniGraffle 5 would render as black-filled shapes when opening in OmniGraffle 6 using File ? Open... menu option.
- Alignment Tooltip — The tooltip for vertical spacing field in the alignment inspector was labelled as horizontal spacing.
- VSDX File Extensions — Handling of Visio VSDX file extensions is now case-insensitive so ‘.VSDX’ files open just like ‘.vsdx’ files.
- Built-in Stencils — Fixed an issue where some built-in Stencils would fail to open from the Resource Browser.
- Stenciltown Login Animation — Added a loading animation when authenticating with Stenciltown.
- Shadow Drawing Crash Fix — Fixed a crash that was lurking in the shadow drawing code.
What is new in version 6.5.1:
- Main Window — Fixed full screen, split view support.
- Drawing — Fixed a bug where some line shadows would not get drawn opening older documents.
- Inspectors — Fixed keyboard navigation in the Note inspector.
- Interface — Fixed cases where Bezier is misspelled Bezier.
- Compatibility — Fixed a bug where opening an OmniGraffle 5 document in OmniGraffle 6 would show a shadow on some lines.
- Stability — [Pro] Fixed a crash opening Visio documents with certain text settings.
- Stability — [Pro] Fixed a crash opening Visio vsdx documents with certain themes.
- Visio — [Pro] Fixed a problem drawing some EMF images imported from Visio documents.
What is new in version 6.4.1:
- Preferences — Trackpad Multi-Touch and Haptic Feedback preferences now reside in their own Preference Pane.
- Inspectors — Fixed a regression where floating inspectors would not load on launch.
- Accessibility — Fixed accessibility support for graphics to enable the define service.
- Drawing — Fixed a rendering bug where selection highlight artifacts could be left on screen when rotation and moving groups.
- Shadows — Fixed a regression where shadows set to cast on the layers below could be lost on a save and re-open.
- Sidebar — Fixed a bug where a solitary shared layer on a canvas could be set to non-printing, but the printing control icon would not properly reflect that state.
- Force Touch — Force Touch haptic feedback should now properly fire off when connecting directly to magnets on lines as well as when starting from one magnet to another on a single shape.
- Force Touch — Fixed a bug where excessive haptic feedback could occur when moving an object with multiple alignment guides to consider.
- Visio — [Pro] Fixed a Visio import bug where shapes would come in with the wrong fill color (usually black).
- Visio — [Pro] Fixed a Visio regression where label text would be stripped upon import.
- Visio — [Pro] Visio stencils that are opened but not moved to the Container will prompt the user for action after editing.
- Resource Browser — Fixed a regression where adding resources to the Library via the Gear menu would not work.
- Resource Browser — Fixed a hang when importing the entire Home Folder into the Resource Browser.
- Localizations — The About Panel should no longer refer to OmniFocus in the French localization.
- Stability — Addressed a number of deallocation issues after closing a document with floating inspectors showing.
- Stability — Fixed an automatic layout related issue that could either crash the GraphViz engine or the application itself.
- Stability — Fixed a crash when deleting LinkBack objects from a pasted PDF.
- Stability — Fixed a crash when editing certain stencil files.
- Stability — Fixed a crash when opening documents on multiple monitor setups depending on window position.
- Stability — Fixed a possible crash when dragging stencils to the canvas.
What is new in version 6.4:
- Haptic Feedback: For trackpads that support Force Touch, OmniGraffle now offers haptic feedback when snapping to guides and connecting directly to magnets.
- Documentation: Added a paragraph to the documentation about Option-Command clicking through a resize handle to get at a vertex point beneath it.
- Inspectors: Image assets in segmented controls should now be vertically centered in proper fashion when running on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan.
- Visio: [Pro] Fixed a text encoding issue when importing certain Visio documents.
- Visio: [Pro] Fixed a Visio related regression when opening files that had EMF or WMF images embedded in them.
- Stability: Fixed a leak involving multi-canvas documents with links between canvases.
- Stability: Fixed a crash when zooming in past 1300% on documents that had complex PDFs placed on the canvas.
- Stability: Fixed a crash when exporting a multi-canvas document resulting in an error.
- Stability: Fixed a possible data corruptor when sending in feedback and obscuring text.
What is new in version 6.2.5:
- Fixed a bug introduced in OmniGraffle 6.2.4 where if no template was selected as the default, then all new documents would be created using the Chalkboard template.
What is new in version 6.2.3:
- Stability -- Possibly fixed another prevalent crash on launch.
- Stability -- Fixed an issue that could lead to Mac App Store versions of OmniGraffle not opening.
- Stability -- Fixed a possible exception when re-ordering objects on shared layers.
- Stability -- Fixed a crash when invoking a context menu to edit the next canvas in a document with zero displayed canvases.
- Stability -- Fixed a font panel crash.
- Stability -- The Resource Browser's preview generation has been made much more thread safe.
What is new in version 6.2.2:
- Stability: Fixed a prevalent crash on launch when double-clicking a Visio file when OmniGraffle was not running.
- Stability: Fixed a pattern fill related crash when printing or exporting to PDF.
- Stability: Fixed a crash on launch when opening certain documents.
- Stability: Fixed a crash when changing units after an export is completed or cancelled.
- Stability: Fixed a crash that could occur when closing a document window while OmniGraffle was in the background.
- Stability: Fixed a crash when using the Font popup in the Font Inspector.
- Stability: Fixed a crash when using the Find Panel in foreign language localizations.
- Stability: Fixed a Font Inspector crash.
- Stability: Fixed a crash involving orthogonal lines, automatic layout, and undo.
- Stability: Fixed a crash when copying and pasting an object’s style.
- Visio: Fixed a crash converting EMFs to PDFs when importing Visio documents.
- Visio: Fixed an import bug where certain Visio documents could not be opened.
- Visio: Fixed a crash when opening certain Visio documents.
- Visio: Fixed a text encoding issue when importing Visio documents.
What is new in version 6.2.1:
- Stability -- Fixed a crash when checking the device type.
- Stability -- Fixed a crash when closing the About panel or Help window.
- Stability -- Fixed a crash when undoing changes with Automatic Layout turned on.
- Stability -- Fixed an undo-related crash when saving.
- Stability -- Fixed a crash on launch when the Font Inspector was in the Ruler.
- Visio -- Fixed a bug where objects could incorrectly import with a 720 point stroke (Requires Pro In-App Purchase).
- Inspectors -- The Diagram Layout Inspector's directional controls should once again be visible.
- Quick Look -- Quick Look previews should once again be working.
- Saving -- Fixed a bug where resizing multiple objects would not save properly.
- Export -- Exported PNG files without transparency now have the proper alpha metadata set.
- Magnets -- Magnets on objects within groups should no longer display when View Magnets is on.
- Styles -- Fixed a bug where Style chits in the Style Tray and Sidebar could render with black artifacts.
- Sidebar -- Fixed a bug where the background to layer previews would render as a dark gray.
- Groups -- Fixed a bounding box issue when modifying components of groups.
What is new in version 6.2:
- Localizations have been added for Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, and Spanish. Localized Help will be added in a future update.
- Changes have been made to the sidebar to improve visual contrast in order to better display the selected Canvas or Layer.
- Fixed a number of bugs concerning the Undo/Redo stack.
- Fixed a formatting bug in the Font Inspector that would prevent proper use of the comma when using German region formats.
- Fixed a crash when quitting the app while an input field was active.
- Fixed a crash when directly opening certain PDFs.
- Fixed a crash when printing.
- Fixed a crash when open certain visio stencil files that contain Enhanced MetaFiles.
- Fixed a bug where the Document Format Inspector title was aligned improperly.
- Fixed a crash checking the device type when creating a new document for certain users.
- Fixed a crash when opening certain stencils.
- Fixed a bug where bezier handles on lines were not showing.
What is new in version 6.1.4:
- Stability -- Fixed a crash when using the ruler line spacing sheet to set an exact line spacing value.
- Stability -- Fixed a crash when unarchiving a LinkBack attachment with a shape containing a Jump action.
- Stability -- Fixed a crash when dragging a Xcode folder over an OmniGraffle window.
- Stability -- Possible fixed a crash when opening a document with collapsed inspectors in some configurations. We were never able to reproduce this ourselves, so we'll be on the lookout for more reports.
- Stability -- Fixed a crash when closing a document while a text field in the inspector was active.
- Stability -- Fixed a crash when importing an OmniOutliner file with the note column mapped to the resulting shape's note.
- Stability -- Fixed a crash when opening the resource browser and showing previews of multiple documents or stencils using plastic fill, or other GPU-supported styles.
- Performance -- Fixed a performance issue related to Shared Layers and text tags that could resize.
- Stability -- Fixed a crash involving a delayed inspector update after dragging a shape.
- Visio -- Fixed an array bound error when opening certain Visio files.
- Sidebar -- Fixed a bug where newly-created canvases would not prompt editing of their names.
- Stability -- Fixed a crash when undoing in the middle of a multi-touch gesture.
- Export -- Fixed a bug that could lead to incorrect folder locations when exporting.
What is new in version 6.1.3:
- Fixed a crash related to changing screens and closing windows.
- Fixed a crash encountered when updating the style tray in a background thread while moving lots of shapes at once using the arrow keys.
- Fixed a crash encountered when tabbing through tables with recently-deleted text.
- Fixed a data corruption bug related to changing layers or canvases with graphics that have layer or canvas actions.
- Fixed a crash deleting multiple shared layers at once.
- Fixed a bug where deleting a layer with actions on other layers that reference that layer can cause the document to load incorrectly.
- Help Menu -- Searching the Help menu would sometimes return results from older versions of OmniGraffle if they were still installed on the Mac, even though those help results didn't apply. Searching the Help menu for something that didn't exist and then clicking on "No results found" would also cause a crash. Both of these issues have been fixed.
- Option-Drag -- Fixed a bug where Option-dragging a shape to duplicate it would always place it in the wrong location when the canvas was zoomed or when rulers were visible.
What is new in version 6.1.1:
Text -- A fix for text alignment issues has been put in place.
Drawing -- Fixed an issue where line positions would shift on re-opening a file after saving.
Performance -- Distortion effects should render more quickly when zoomed in at 200%.
Stability -- Fixed a crash when using the Page Up or Page Down keys.
Stencil Window -- Fixed a bug where every other canvas of a multiple canvas stencil would not display.
Visio Import -- Fixed an Out of Array Bound error when importing Visio files.
Drawing -- Older documents defaulted line shadow drawing to off. That is now respected.
Page Setup scale -- Fixed a regression so that the Page Setup applies to canvases and printing.
Stability -- Fixed a crash where the Action inspector would crash if the name of canvas in Jumps Elsewhere setting was too long.
Drawing Tools -- Fixed an issue with the Style Brush - copying plastic fill was not duplicating the secondary fill color.
Sidebar -- Fixed an issue canvas name text field - now is only editable when the row is selected.
Inspectors -- Fixed a bug where the rotation widget in the Geometry inspector loses focus after using arrow keys to adjust value.
Text -- Fixed a bug where text boxes would forget their width when re-opening a document.
Sidebar -- Fixed an issue where small canvas icons in the sidebar would indent for no good reason.
Sidebar -- Object ID numbers should now be displaying properly again.
Toolbar -- Fixed a crash selecting Drawing Tool styles when certain developer colors were present on the canvas.
Visio -- Fixed an 'Illegal Seek' error when opening certain Visio documents.
Stencils -- Fixed a bug where dragging out stencils to the canvas would not drop it where it was placed.
Feedback -- Document filenames that are included when sending feedback should once again have their names properly encoded.
Feedback -- Fixed an issue when sending feedback that would prevent the sheet to include the document from showing.
Display -- Fixed a bug where the canvas would only display a portion after hiding the sidebar and toolbar.
Duplication -- Option-dragging a selection while zoomed out should drop the duplicated objects where intended.
What is new in version 6.1:
- User Interface -- OmniGraffle has undergone an interface update in order to make it look more at home on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite.
- User Interface -- The Canvases and Contents sidebar is now able to be made more narrow than before, and page numbers no longer interfere with the canvas name.
- User Interface -- Inspectors can now be set in a floating tabbed interface, or pulled out into individual palettes for granular customization.
- Inspectors -- New Fill filters and effects have been added, with the ability to blur, pixelate, and magnify content behind an object.
- Inspectors -- The ability to stroke just the inside or outside of a shape has been added.
- Inspectors -- A new Inner Shadow type is now available.
- Stencil Library -- Stencil search results should now include results from our online Library, Stenciltown. Submit your own stencils at stenciltown.omnigroup.com!
- Visio -- Support for Visio 2013 file formats has been added.