VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols. Features includes simple, fast and powerful media player, plays everything: Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams, and plays most codecs with no codec packs needed: MPEG-2, DivX, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, and MP3.
What is new in this release:
- Fix crash in G.711 wav files
- Fix mp3 crash in libmad
- Fix out-of-bound write in adpcm QT IMA codec
- Fix overlay creation on Windows XP for DirectDraw video output
- Improve compilation support for GNU/HURD
- Minor UI improvements for the Qt interface on Windows, Linux, BSD
What is new in version 2.2.3:
VLC 2.2.3 "Weatherwax" is the third update to VLC's 2.2 release series. Notable number of improvements, like green lines in the Windows video output and resuming where you left off. It also improves our codec support by adding new formats and providing faster decompression. More than 30 fixes for issues reported for 2.2.2. You can finally open more than 15 elements from the Windows' Explorer.
What is new in version 2.2.2:
VLC 2.2.2 "Weatherwax" is the second update to VLC's 2.2 release series. It fixes numerous security issues, notably in the MP4, RealRtsp and Sparkle modules, but also important crashes for the MXF, ADPCM, Telextext, Skins and Qt modules. It also improves our codec support by adding new formats and providing faster decompression. More than 100 fixes for issues reported for 2.2.1.
What is new in version 2.2.1:
This version fixes numerous crashes (FLAC, SPC), codec issues (VP9, Atrac3, AAC), regressions and several issues (Resume, MP4 chapters, MKV over network), and security issues.
What is new in version 2.2.0:
- VLC 2.2.0 "Weatherwax" is a new major update of VLC.
- VLC 2.2.0 auto-rotates the videos taken from phones, to fight Vertical Video Syndrome!
- VLC now resumes where you left off in all versions
- Improves support for new HD codecs, VP9, opus and H.265/HEVC, for decoding and for encoding.
- Extensions are now downloadable from within the application.
- VLSub extension can download subtitles from the application.
- We release at the same time, new versions and betas for iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Android TV and Windows RT.
What is new in version 2.1.5:
With the capabilities of "RinceWind", 2.1.5 fixes a few bugs, and important security issues
2.1.5 fixes a few decoding bugs, on MP3, MKV, and hardware decoding on Windows.
It also fixes QTsound capture and audio channel orders for OS X.
2.1.5 also ships with updated GnuTLS and libpng libraries, because of security issues.