This big update adds often requested and long awaited features like track changes, drawing tools, and watermarks. Read the release notes for all the details on this major release. Our tools are right wherever you want them. Customize which palettes are seen and when. Organize your files with our Document Manager, or hide it completely. Assign any keyboard shortcut to any menu. Add any menu the toolbar. You're in control. We've got them: styles, multilingual support, tables, comments, track changes, drawing tools, footnotes & endnotes, bookmarks, cross-references, table of contents, full screen mode, and more. See them all in our feature tour.
Our native file format (RTF) is understood by just about everyone. Nisus Writer also opens and saves Microsoft Word files, as well as other file formats. Our find & replace is unmatched: search by text pattern or applied formatting. Use our macro language to automate your workflow. Email our free customer support. Learn tips from our dedicated user community. We're here to help you grow into powerful tools.
What is new in this release:
- Restored preference that controls how often autosave is triggered.
- Improved import/export of DOCX and DOC documents.
- Can import documents from Apple Pages, but only version 4.x (from iWork '09).
- Fixed several intermittent hangs & crashes (see below).
- Fixed: the command to "Look Up" a word in the system dictionary would almost always show the wrong word.
- Fixed: scrolling could intermittently become disabled for the entire application, on Macs with certain kinds of trackpads.
- The "Document Fonts" collection should show fonts displayed on screen because of font substitution.
- Fixed: characters could display incorrectly, when the user's primary and secondary fonts did not contain the character.
- Fixed several issues when editing with tracked changes enabled in documents with certain kinds of content.
What is new in version 2.1.1:
- Fixed several potential intermittent crashes:
- Using a document window's popover (which shows the file name, location, and tags) can trigger crashes.
- Worked around a bug where the OSX text engine can trigger random crashes during text layout.
- Deleting styles in the stylesheet can trigger crashes.
- Fixed potential crashes whenever closing a document window (related to toolbars and palettes).
- Could crash when balancing text in multi-column section.
- Rare crash related to showing the Open Recent file menus.
- Fixed: choosing a new Document Manager folder that is a subfolder of the existing Document Manager folder can incorrectly delete a whole folder, if the user chooses to migrate files.
- Fixed: find: certain combinations of Replace All, with tracked changes enabled, could cause crashes and other errors.
- Fixed: deleting open documents via the Document Manager could cause a hang.
- Fixed: opening files with certain sequences of floating text boxes could cause a hang.
- Receipts from the Mac App Store can be used to license Nisus Writer.
- Fixed: the option "Ignore Rich Text Commands" could be incorrectly check-marked in the Open panel for certain file types.
- Fixed: the system preference "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" should be respected.
- Fixed: when showing the Save panel for a new/draft document, should not default to showing the autosave folder.
- Fixed: when closing new documents on OSX 10.7, if the user already explicitly saved the document somewhere, should not ask whether or not to save changes.
- Fixed: if the user clicks a link created before sandboxing, Nisus Writer should offer to help the user convert the link to one with the proper security authorization, by having the user confirm the target in a file opening dialog.
- Fixed: mail merging CSV files with double quotes would fail with parsing errors.
- Fixed: closed palettes could incorrectly be partially drawn at random locations in the drawer, obscuring other palettes.
- Fixed: palettes: some issues when adjusting borders for a subset of edges (eg: table cell edges).
- Fixed: license keys added before sandboxing, using the "Computer" scope, should be detected.
- Fixed: icons for custom toolbar items created before sandboxing should be recognized.
- Fixed: the Save toolbar item was incorrectly always disabled.
- Fixed: cropping an image could sometimes result in undesired image scaling.
- Fixed: if the user cancels an Export As and then does a Save As, the file formats available in the Save panel are incorrect.
- Opt: speed improvements when opening files that require a lot of font substitutions.
- Fixed: opening large plain text files should allow user to cancel.
- Opt: any time the mouse moves or the user scrolls, OSX's new "sharing services" copies all selected content, for every single event. This is very inefficient. Nisus Writer now overrides this behavior to cache the sharing services calculation.
- Fixed: palette titlebars can draw improperly on retina screens.
- Fixed: palettes: fixed poor behavior when adjusting paragraph border's horizontal padding below -10 points.
- Fixed: palettes: floating palettes should not "jiggle" when resized.
- Fixed: tables: fixed some issues with using Tab and Shift + Tab to navigate through table cells. The next/previous cell was not always fully selected in all ways.
- Fixed: if the OSX layout engine becomes unstable when opening a document, the user should be alerted and the document should be shown partially loaded.
- Fixed: editing the default leader tab would not preserve all options.
- Fixed: misspelling underline markings are drawn with incorrect baseline when paragraph borders were used.
- Changed: slightly tightened the way misspelling underlines hug their text.
- Changed: if the Apple font manager triggers any errors when loading font information, they should be ignored instead of preventing Nisus Writer from continuing.
- Fixed: the "Add Group" button to confirm the addition of a Document Manager group was improperly disabled sometimes.
- Added: additional information to help diagnose application hang reports.
- Changed: do not ask user to submit feedback on potential application crash/hang if OSX itself crashed.
- Fixed: inline images with kerning applied should not be ignored when calculating the line height.
- Changed: the feedback reporter should try some fallback text encodings if the console log isn't valid UTF-8.
- Added: the built-in macro Macro > Application > Manage Macro File Access can now permanently grant macros automatic access to files and folders
- Added: the File commands that manage access outside the sandbox now take into account permanently establishing automatic access. See the Macro Language Reference for details.
- Fixed several issues when external AppleScripts execute Nisus Writer macros, including:
- AppleScripts that tried to modify sandbox file access (eg: File.requireAccessAtPath, etc) would always fail.
- Fixed: the macro Save commands would not properly clear the edited state of a document.
- Changed: the command DocumentManagerGroup.allFilePaths should include files that do not exist, and those files to which Nisus Writer may not have access.
- Fixed: a variety of paragraph commands were not recognized, eg: Set Head Indent, Set Paragraph Spacing After, etc.
- Fixed: the command .applyLineAttributesToEdges did not correctly recognize some names, eg: OuterHorizontal, etc.
- Fixed: the Read Clipboard and Write Clipboard commands did not work properly if the clipboard hadn't yet been interacted with in another way.
- Added the command File.isEquivalentPaths to help compare file paths.
- Added the Image property .isEquation.
- Fixed: the "setImage" command could trigger crashes.
- Fixed: the logical not operator would combine improperly with binary comparison operators.
- For Example: the expression ! $a == $b would return incorrect results.
- Fixed: should be able to use keywords like "False" in user defined command names.
What is new in version 2.1:
- Added support for Mac OS X autosave, where changes to all opens documents are saved regularly.
- Added support for Mac OS X document versioning, where a user can browse and revert to older versions of any document.
- Added support for iCloud.
- Switched to 64-bit.
- Runs inside the Mac App sandbox.
- Changed: discontinued support for Mac OS X 10.6. The required system is now Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later.
- Added: a variety of macro enhancements.
- Changed: Nisus Thesaurus is now integrated directly into Nisus Writer; it is no longer a separate app.
What is new in version 2.0.7:
- Fixed: when running on OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) could crash after copy-pasting table cells with a list style applied, or when closing documents with certain kinds of smart content.
- Fixed: lang: hyphenation patterns were not always properly respected, sometimes resulting in very poor hyphenation for non-English languages.
- Fixed: soft hyphens should transfer from Nisus Writer to Word properly.
- Fixed: lang: when running on OSX 10.9 (Mavericks), it could be very slow to show the list of languages (in the preferences or elsewhere). Nisus Writer now loads language icons in the background and caches the results.
- Fixed: images: editing an equation externally (eg: in MathType) could incorrectly refresh the image.
- Fixed: track changes: typing over some text with a straight quote that is automatically corrected into a smart quote, with track changes enabled, can trigger an error and subsequent unpredictable behavior.
- Fixed: possible crashing bugs triggered by line numbering in Page view.
- Fixed: spelling: should be able to learn spelling for words with curly apostrophes.
- Changed: automatic updater will alert the user about updates that cannot be used due to unsupported OSX versions, but should not offer to install them.
- Fixed: when running on OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) could fail to open some RTF/ZRTF documents that included certain kinds of hex/base64 encoded data.
- Fixed: notes: footnotes imported from Logos with multi-character note references could import improperly, incorrectly gobbling some of the body text as part of the note.
- Fixed: track changes: the Track Changes toolbar item should be enabled on the overflow menu. Also, if "text only" mode is active, clicking the Track Changes toolbar item should not revert to icon mode.
- Fixed: can't remove Small Caps font feature using Apple's typography panel for some fonts (eg: Arno Pro).
- Fixed: find: some issues with the way PowerFind bubbles for repetitions (eg: "1-3 Times") display their labels.
- Fixed: shapes: perfectly vertical/horizontal arrows and lines should be selectable in the rectangular selection mode.
- Fixed: after returning from full screen Draft View, the underlying backdrop (visible only if user scrolls view down/up beyond bounds with elastic scrolling) is the wrong color.
- Fixed: the menus under Table > Align Table should show state checkmarks as appropriate.
- Fixed: copying a hyperlink (using the menu "Copy Link") incorrectly does not copy the URL if the linked text has non-uniform formatting.
- Fixed: lists: if applying a list style, character attribute overrides applied to the selected list items should be culled according to style change attribute removal rules.
- A few other minor stability improvements.
- Added: macros: added commands to inspect and change borders and shading for paragraphs and table cells.
- Added: macros: a variety of other miscellaneous new commands; see the Macro Language Reference.
- Fixed: macros: the Selection.enclosedTables property did not work correctly.
- Fixed: macros: StatusItem.newShownInDocument progress bar is broken.